Work-life balance as a leverage for women's empowerment and promoting gender equality
High Level Conference of the Italian Presidency
of the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe
Tuesday 12 April 2022, 09:30 a.m.- 4:20 p.m. (CEST)
Palazzo della Farnesina, Rome, Italy and online
Watch the conference recording in this link and on Facebook
The conference recording is available only in the original version for the moment.
Conference organised by the Italian Minister of Equal Opportunities and Family and the Council of Europe
The Council of Europe's Strategy on Gender Equality 2018-2023 calls for active participation of women and girls in decisions concerning work-life balance as a pre-requisite of economic independence and to overcome gender gaps in the public and business sectors. Among other texts, the Committee of Ministers Recommendation R(96)51 on the reconciliation of work and family life, of 19 June 1996, can be read with this idea in mind.
Attention should also be paid, in this context, to the shaping of part-time or teleworking solutions offered to employees within public administration and private enterprise: highly flexible forms of employment, supported by the necessary social and economic protection measures, can provide workers with the appropriate, balanced means to manage their professional career path.
This high-level event aimed at fostering a broad debate on some central aspects of achieving work-life balance, of preventing gender-based discrimination and overcoming social and cultural obstacles, in support of professional choices and satisfactory career paths through flexible and dynamic solutions compatible with the activities carried out in the personal, private and family spheres.
- Conference report
- Conference conclusions French Italian
- Concept note
- Presentations (see below)
High-Level Opening Session
- Benedetto Della Vedova, Undersecretary of State for Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, Italy (Italian only)
- Claudia Luciani, Director of Human Dignity, Equality and Governance, Council of Europe
- Helena Dalli, European Commissioner for Equality
Session 1: Policies and reforms in favour of women's employment to encourage gender equality-examples from member States
- Thomas Blomqvist, Minister for Nordic Cooperation and Equality,Finland
- Élisabeth Moreno, Minister Delegate to the Prime Minister, Responsible for Equality between Women and Men, Diversity and Equal Opportunities, France
- Andrea Orlando, Minister for Labour and Social Policies, Italy (Italian only)
- Margareta Madjerić, Secretary of State, Ministry of Labour, Pension System, Family and Social Policy, Croatia
- Ekin Deligöz, Parliamentary State Secretary, Federal Ministry of Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth, Germany
- Rasmus Cruce Naeyé, State Secretary, Ministry of Labour, Sweden
Session 2: New policies and services to promote gender-sensitive work-life balance, inlcluding a better sharing of care responsibilities-employers' perspectives
- Monika Queisser, Head of the Social Policy Division, Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)
- Kateryna Levchenko, Government Commissioner for Gender Equality, Ukraine
- Sonia Malaspina, Director of Human Resources, Danone Italy & Greece
Session 3: The different impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic on the work and family responsibiities of women and men
- Liliana Palihovici, Special Representative of the OSCE Chairperson-in-Office on Gender
- Emanuela Pozzan, Senior Specialist, Gender Equality, International Labour Organization (ILO)
- Carlien Scheele, Director, European Institute of Gender Equality (EIGE)
- Pasquale Tridico, President of the National Institute for Social Security (INPS), Italy
- Paola Profeta, Professor, Bocconi University, Milan, Italy
The building that houses the Ministry for Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation was designed by the architects Enrico Del Debbio, Arnaldo Foschini and Vittorio Ballio Morpurgo, and owes its name – Farnesina – to the ancient Farnesina family estate on the site. See more.
Address: Piazzale della Farnesina, 1 00135 Rome
- Italian Presidency of the Council of Europe's Committee of Ministers
- Council of Europe's Gender Equality Division
- Italian Minister for Equality Opportunities and Family