Social rights in today’s Europe: the role of domestic and European Courts
The Conference is organised by the Supreme Court of Cyprus and the Council of Europe in the framework of the Cypriot Chairmanship of the Council of Europe’s Committee of Ministers (22 November 2016 - 19 May 2017).
Bearing in mind the objectives of the Turin process for the European Social Charter, the aim of the Conference is to examine the role and contribution of domestic and European jurisdictions to the enforcement of social rights in Europe.
In this context, the relevant case-law of the European Court of Human Rights and Court of Justice of the European Union, as well as that of a number of domestic jurisdictions, will be the subject of exchanges between judges, representatives of European monitoring and advisory bodies, with the contribution of academics.
As regards the national level, judges and experts will focus on constitutional issues, employment and social security rights. The introductory keynote speech will be on “Safeguarding social rights in times of austerity” and the concluding remarks will be delivered by the President of the European Committee of Social Rights.
Date: 24 February 2017
Location: Filoxenia Conference Centre, 17 Thrakis Street, 1311 Nicosia, Cyprus
Organiser: Organised by the Supreme Court of Cyprus in cooperation with the Council of Europe, in the framework of the Cypriot Chairmanship of the Council of Europe’s Committee of Ministers, the Conference is held as part of the Turin Process launched by the Secretary General of the Council of Europe at the High Level Conference on the European Social Charter which took place in Turin, in October 2014.
Contact us: ESC.Cyprus.Conference@coe.int
Speeches and Interventions
Session I: Social rights in the case-law of the European Courts
- Ioannis SARMAS, Member of the Greek Court of Auditors
- Françoise TULKENS, Former Vice President of the European Court of Human Rights
- Luis JIMENA QUESADA, Professor of Constitutional Law, University of Valencia, Member of the Academic Network on the European Social Charterand Social Rights
- George ARESTIS, former judge of the Court of Justice of the European Union
Session II: Social rights in the case-law of national jurisdictions: selected examples
- Ninon COLNERIC, Former judge of the Court of Justice of the European Union
- Giovanni GUIGLIA, Professor of Public Law, University of Verona, GeneralCoordinator of the Academic Network on the European Social Charter and Social Rights
- Carmen SALCEDO, Professor Law Faculty at the Department on Employment and Social Security of the University of Valencia
- Fabienne JEGU, Advisor, General Secretariat of the Defender of Rights
- Sophia KOUKOULIS SPILIOTOPOULOS, Attorney at law, Member of the Athens Bar, Member of the Academic Network on the European Social Charter and Social Rights
- Pavel MOLEK, Judge of the Supreme Administrative Court of the Czech Republic