Education for Democracy in the Republic of Moldova
- To contribute to an inclusive, peaceful and democratic society with engaged citizens in the Republic of Moldova. The main impact hypothesis is that education plays a key role in developing the knowledge and competences necessary for someone to become an engaged citizen. The project will help strengthen the capacity of the Moldovan education system to fulfil this role.
- A policy framework and implementation guidelines regarding the civic education subject and the democratic governance of schools are developed in line with CoE’s Education for Democratic Citizenship and Human Rights Education (EDC/HRE) principles and the CoE’s Reference Framework of Competences for a Democratic Culture (CDC Framework).
- The national capacities to train teachers and to support them in the implementation of the reconceptualised civic education curriculum are reinforced via revised teacher training programmes, training of national teacher trainers and multipliers and other capacity building activities.
- Children and adolescents have developed the skills and acquired the knowledge to be able to participate in their schools’ and communities’ decision-making processes and they are offered opportunities to engage in community development activities in cooperation with the local public authorities and civil society organisations.
- Awareness raising events: A launching conference will be organised to present the project, introduce to the Moldovan education community the key CoE standards that will be promoted in the context of the project and discuss the ways in which these can be adapted to the national context and needs. A closing conference will be organised to showcase the project results, impact, lessons learned and good practices.
- Publications: a series of publications to introduce the CoE’s EDC/HRE principles and the CDC Framework will be developed in the Romanian and Russian languages. The publications will provide practical guidance to education professionals working in the education system of the Republic of Moldova, including with regards to the implementation of the reconceptualized civic education subject “Education for Society”.
- Policy workshops: a series of expert workshops for national experts will be organised providing guidance on developing the policy framework for the reconceptualized civic education curriculum and on mainstreaming the EDC/HRE principles into other subjects and education levels.
- Democratic governance of schools: a series of expert workshops will be organised to develop a methodology of democratic governance of schools in line with European best practice and the revised civic education curriculum. The draft methodology will be piloted in 50 schools by a civil society organization, and a final methodology will be developed based on the results of the piloting. Moreover, a pool of national in-service teacher trainers will be trained on training school directors and teachers on the democratic governance of schools.
- Workshops for national teacher training institutions: a series of expert workshops will be organised providing guidance on how to integrate EDC/HRE principles and the RFCDC into the pre-service and in-service teacher education programmes.
- Teacher training: a pool of 50 national teacher trainers will receive training on various aspects of implementation of the reconceptualized civic education curriculum. Furthermore, 150 teachers and methodologists will be trained on the implementation of the new civic education curriculum. They will act as resource persons or multipliers at district level and will provide regular peer to peer support to teachers.
- Summer academies: two summer academies for school directors, teachers and school children will be organized on the topic of democratic governance of schools. They will be acquainted with CoE’s EDC/HRE principles and the CDC Framework and will be supported in developing school and community based projects.
The Project is financed by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) and will be implemented in cooperation with the Ministry of Education, Culture and Research of the Republic of Moldova over a period of four years starting in January 2019. The Project is part of the SDC Programme for the Republic of Moldova “Fostering Active Citizen Engagement”, which also includes a UNFPA Moldova implemented project on non-formal civic education and youth participation.
- Capacity building
- Current Projects
- Democratic and Inclusive School Culture in Operation (DISCO)
- European Qualifications Passport for Refugees
- Quality Education for All - Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Quality Education for All - Montenegro
- Quality education for all – Serbia
- Strengthening Democratic Citizenship Education in Albania
- INCLUDE - Building Capacity for Inclusion in Education
- Strengthening Democratic Culture in Basic Education
- Education for Democracy in the Republic of Moldova
- EEA/Norway Grants
- Previous Projects
- Current Projects