Artificial Intelligence raises important and urgent issues. AI is already with us – changing the information that we receive, the choices that we make, and the ways in which our societies function. In the coming years AI will play an even greater role in the way that governments and public institutions operate, and the way in which citizens interact and participate in the democratic process. It is clear that AI presents both benefits and risks. We need to ensure that AI promotes and protects our standards.
Marija Pejčinović Burić, Secretary General, Council of Europe
The Council of Europe is currently working on an appropriate legal framework for the development, design and application of artificial intelligence, based on its human rights, democracy and rule of law standards and with the capacity to adapt to future innovations. Work is also underway or planned on the applications or impact of digital transformation in areas such as healthcare, journalism, equality and non-discrimination, judicial systems, criminal liability, the rights of the child, education, in prisons and probation services or by other public administrations.
The CAI works to establish an international negotiation process and to draw up an appropriate legal framework on the development, design, and application of artificial intelligence, based on the Council of Europe’s standards on human rights, democracy and the rule of law. It maintains a transversal approach on artificial intelligence.
Developing appropriate legal texts on the development, design, and application of artificial intelligence systems.
Civil society involvement
- Participant: Conference of INGOs (CINGO)
- Consultation with civil society, either through direct participation in meetings, or through dedicated hearings or written consultations
- Effective ECHR implementation
- Execution of ECHR judgments and decisions
- Effectiveness of the ECHR System at national and European level
- Prevention of Torture and Other Forms of Ill- Treatment (CPT)
- Human Rights in the fields of Biomedicine and Health
- Freedom of Expression and Freedom of the Media
- Data Protection
- Artificial intelligence