Progress towards meaningful child participation in decision making – a multi-stakeholder dialogue
1st High-Level International Conference of the CP4EUROPE Project
The European Union and Council of Europe joint project "CP4Europe – Strengthening National Child Participation Frameworks and Action in Europe" (hereinafter: CP4EUROPE) aims to respond to the challenges that children in Europe face with being heard and being taken seriously when it comes to decisions that affect their lives.
Child participation is, indeed, a transversal topic rooted not only in the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, but also in all the Council of Europe Strategies for the Rights of the Child since 2008, and in several of its standards and tools, notably the Council of Europe Recommendation on participation of children and young people under the age of 18.
This project offers the invaluable opportunity to strengthen child participation processes at national and pan-European level in 5 partner countries – the Czech Republic, Finland, Iceland, Portugal and Slovenia – that are striving to integrate the voices of children in decision making, starting to change traditional approaches that prevent children to contribute to what many consider to be “adults’ matters”.
To support and promote the important overall goal of this initiative, the first high-level international conference will be held online on 21 October 2021 (14:00 - 17:30 CET) in the framework of the CP4EUROPE project. The event intends to bring together prominent advocates of child participation at European and national level, and to initiate the process of a multi-level dialogue with children.
Interesting presentations and discussions with:
- Snežana Samardžić-Marković, Director General of the Directorate General of Democracy, Council of Europe;
- Regina Jensdottir, Coordinator for the Rights of the Child, Head of the Children’s Rights Division, Council of Europe;
- Baroness Doreen Massey, Representative at the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE);
- Afshan Khan, UNICEF Regional Director for Europe and Central Asia;
- Valeria Setti, Coordinator for the Rights of the Child of the European Commission;
- Marie-Louise Coleiro-Preca, President of Eurochild;
- Janez Cigler Kralj, Minister of Labour, Family, Social Affairs and Equal Opportunities of the Republic of Slovenia;
- Kateřina Jirková, Deputy Minister for Family Affairs, Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs of the Czech Republic;
- Rosário Farmhouse, President of the National Commission for the Promotion of Rights and the Protection of Children and Young People of Portugal;
- Elina Pekkarinen, Ombudsperson for Children of Finland;
- Salvör Nordal, Ombudsperson for Children of Iceland.
To the extent possible, the speakers’ presentations have been prepared in collaboration with children - from the Czech Republic, Finland, Iceland, Portugal and Slovenia - in the form of a dialogue and will be presented jointly with children.
To participate and contribute to this important event please register before 19 October 2021.
Questions to conference speakers, be it a representative of an international institution/organisation, a national minister, an Ombudsperson or/and a child, could be submitted in advance with the registration form specifying the addressee of the question. The conference secretariat will select the most relevant questions to be discussed at the event.