The Council of Europe LGBT Project
The first (pilot) Project of the Council of Europe to combat discrimination on grounds of sexual orientation and gender identity ran from September 2011 until the end of 2013.
The LGBT Project supported the governments of six partner member states (Albania, Italy, Latvia, Montenegro, Poland and Serbia) in their efforts to develop a forceful, cross-sectoral LGBT policy, strengthening human rights for LGBT people, and supporting the national fight against discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity.
Recommendation CM/Rec(2010) 5 of the Committee of Ministers to member states on measures to combat discrimination on grounds of sexual orientation or gender identity constitutes the main framework for the project.
In line with this, and within the limits set by available funds, the project aimed to support a spectrum of measures and activities, according to the needs and priorities in each country.
The project, anchored to the Council of Europe, DG II Democracy, focussed on relevant measures and activities with a view of developing national strategies and/or action plans.
The Closing Conference of the LGBT Project took place on 16 December 2013 in Strasbourg. For this conference a booklet and a video have been produced.
For the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdGpMcD2Emw
The pilot LGBT Project has been financed by voluntary contributions from Belgium, Finland, Germany, The Netherlands, Norway, Sweden and the United Kingdom.
During the LGBT Project the following products have been produced :
- national Action Plan: “Plan of Measures for non-discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity”
- information booklet on the government’s LGBT Action Plan aimed at civil servants, including a short description of the Action Plan, the government’s involvement, as well as stake holders contact details: “Fletë informuese për zyrkarët public mbi çështjet LGBT” (SO1ALB001)
- training manual for teachers “Manual shkolla” (SO1ALB002)
- information booklet on LGBT issues to be distributed in high schools, based on the requirements as laid down in the CM/Rec(2010)5 “LGBT Aleanca – ndal, bullizmin në shkolla” (SO1ALB002)
- online platform for Albanian businesses to endorse their business as LGBT-friendly: website www.lgbtravelalbania.com (SO1ALB003)
- adhesive stickers for businesses, signalling them as LGBT friendly (SO1ALB003)
- guidelines on how to use citizen journalism in the defence of human and LGBT rights, especially in peripheral areas: “Rregullat themelore dhe teknikat e fotografse” and “Si te shkruash nje artikull per median online” (SO1ALB069)
- grass root reports at www.historia-ime.com (SO1ALB069)
- booklet with recommendations on health services for LGBT persons “Personat LGBT dhe Shërbimet Shëndetësore – Disa këshilla praktike për profesionestëte e shëndetësisë” (SO2ALB008)
- technical report “Access to health services and quality of care for LGBT Persons in Albania” (SO2ALB008)
- booklet on trans rights (translation of the Hammarberg report) “Të Drejtat e Njeriut dhe Identiteti Gjinor” (SO2ALB009)
- booklet on civil society progressing legal issues and human rights for LGBTI persons in Albania: “Litigimet Strategjike Kombëtare mbi çështjet LGBTI” (SO3ALB054)
- proposal of law and its explanatory memorandum in the field of legal gender recognition, as well as articles 163 and 164 in the Family Code, which will bring the Albanian legislation in accordance with international standards of law, in particular with CM/Rec(2010)5 (SO3ALB012)
- national strategy: “Strategia Nazionale LGBT (2013 – 2015)”
- guidelines for the media: “Linee guida per un’informazione rispettosa delle persone LGBT” (SO2ITA013)
- recommendations on assessing asylum claims by LGBTI asylum-seekers (SO1ITA060)
- video clip against homophobia, to be seen at www.noomofobia.it (SO1ITA061)
- guide for human rights for LGBT people “Breve guide ai Diritti delle persone LGBT” (SO3ITA062)
- national strategy: “guidelines on national identity, civil society and integration policy (2012-2018)”
- draft NGO action plan: “Tolerance Action Plan” (SO1LAT015)
- internet platform for discussions on LGBT issues at the Public Policy Portal www.politika.lv (SO1LAT016)
- guidelines for the media (SO1LAT017)
- guidelines on diversity management (SO1LAT018)
- exhibition LGBT in Latvia (SO1LAT019)
- recommendations for tourism companies, the Latvian government and Riga Tourism Board on how to position Riga as an LGBT-friendly destination (SO1LAT020)
- posters for an awareness raising campaign (SO1LAT071)
- training module for police officers, developed by civil society and the State Police College (SO2LAT023)
- guidelines on combating hate crimes “Atpazīsti naidu! Vadlīnijas policijas darbiniekiem” (SO2LAT023)
- guidelines for social pedagogues and school teachers “Citādi jaunieši skolā. Kā viņiem palīdzēt?” (SO2LAT024)
- elaborated amendments to put Latvian law in line with Recommendation CM/Rec (2010)5 (SO3LAT025/026/027)
- national strategy “Strategija za unapređenje kvaliteta života LGBT osoba u Crnoj Gori 2013-2018”
- study on LGBT issues in school curricula and text books: “Crnogorska obrazovna politika i seksualna orijentacija: zastupljenost LGBT tema u školskim programima I udžbenicima” (SO1MON029)
- folder ‘OK to be different’ “U redu je biti drugačiji!” (SO1MON029)
- guidelines regarding including LGBT people in sports (SO1MON031)
- folder LGBT shelter “Program podrške LGBT zajednici – LGBT sklonište” (SO2MON035)
- recommendations to review the national structures and procedures for investigations onto hate crime and discrimination, including the collection of data (SO2MON037)
- national action plan “Krajowy program działań na rzecz równego traktowania na lata 2013-2016”
- picture campaign at the website www.prosterownanie.pl and at Parada Równości’s Facebook page (SO1POL058)
- spot for television campaign (SO1POL071)
- guidelines for schools “Lekcja Równości – materiały dla nauczycieli i nauczycielek” (reprint) (SO1POL057)
- language course materials for LGBT activists (SO2POL063)
- information cards victim support (SO2POL072)
- National Action Plan
- Policy measures for the advancement of human rights for LGBT persons in Serbia (SO1SER041)
- Guidelines for social workers “Смернице за рад са сексуалним мањинама у системи социјалне заштите“ (SO2SER042/070)
Action Plan Albania
Action Plan Montenegro
Strategy Poland (in Polish only)