- Policy recommendations on strengthening the legislative and policy framework for the democratic governance of schools will be developed jointly with the Ministry of Education and Science of Georgia and other stakeholders.
- Methodological guidelines on strengthening democratic school governance in schools will be developed and piloted in schools.
- Capacity building: a professional development programme (training, mentoring and peer exchange) for school directors and teachers on democratic citizenship education and the democratic school governance will be developed and delivered.
- School projects: Schools will partner with civil society organisations and other community stakeholders to develop and implement projects linked to learning outcomes and addressing key problems in the community through a small grants scheme for civil society organisations.
- School children peer exchanges: best practices in democratic school governance will be shared within a national conference dedicated to school children participation in schools and communities and one study visit to Moldova. Two summer academies for school children on democracy and human rights and project management will be organized.
- A national Democratic and Inclusive School Network for sharing and promoting best practices in democratic school governance will be set up.
- Awareness raising: a national conference to launch the project will be organized, as well as communication activities to highlight the role of education in developing competences for democratic culture in school children.
Democracy Starts in Schools – Engaging School Children in Decision Making Processes in Schools and Communities in Georgia
2 août 2023
“Democracy Starts with Your Voice” Summer Academy – Council of Europe project “Democracy Starts in Schools - Engaging School Children in Decision Making Processes in Schools and Communities in Georgia"1 August 2023
Participation of students in school and community life is the key to democratic culture...
7 juin 2023
The development of a democratic culture starts from the school. The project “Democracy Starts in...
7 mai 20236 May 2023
Democratic culture starts in schools. Participating in school life, engaging schoolchildren in...
30 janv. 2023
Call for proposals for Civil Society Organizations on “Student Voice – Supporting Schoolchildren Participation in Decision-Making Processes in Schools and Communities”30 January 2023
This call for proposals is launched in the framework of the Council of Europe Project “Democracy...
30 oct. 202228 October 2022
On Friday, 28 October, the Council of Europe Office in Georgia hosted the official launch event...
The Project “Democracy Starts in Schools – Engaging School Children in Decision Making Processes in Schools and Communities in Georgia” is implemented by the Council of Europe in cooperation with the Ministry of Education and Science of Georgia and with the financial support of the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC).
The objective of the Project is to strengthen democracy in Georgia through increased participation of young people in the decision-making processes at the local level through democratic citizenship education and practices in schools.
The project is based on the Council of Europe approach to civic education: a holistic view on knowledge, skills, values and attitudes, a focus on democratic school development and an integration of young people’s civic experiences in the wider community.
The project will support the national education authorities of Georgia to implement a series of measures that are needed to create more opportunities for participation for school children and motivate them to take part in the decision-making processes in schools and communities. More specifically, the project will help develop methodological guidance for schools on the democratic school governance, will support school directors as key actors in this process and enable them to provide strategic leadership, will support school projects implemented in partnership with civil society organisations and other community actors, and will support school children in developing and implementing projects in their schools and communities.
- Educational institutions and educational staff develop school children’s competences for democratic culture.
- Schoolgirls and schoolboys exercise their democratic rights and responsibilities by participating in the decision-making processes in their schools and communities.
Ministry of Education and Science of Georgia
National Center for Teacher Professional Development
Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC)
22 months, 1 March 2022-31 December 2023
700 000 EUR
The Project is implemented by the Council of Europe with the financial support of the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC)