Prison reform programme in BiH
The program of prison reform in Bosnia and Herzegovina contains two specific projects:
1. Joint program of the European Union and the Council of Europe “Harmonisation of BiH sanctions policies and practices with European standards”
The joint program of the European Union and the Council of Europe named “Harmonisation of BiH sanctions policies and practices with European standards” is aimed at enhancing capacities of the managerial and other prison personnel, offering options for enforcement of probation service(s) in BiH, enhancing application of outer institutional sanctions, and establishing and adjusting programs of treatment for providing support for special needs inmates. The program also aims to alleviate political dialog between BiH authorities on the state and entity levels in connection with adjusting standards and practice in the area of prisons.
Activities will be conducted primarily in Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH), both entities included. A number of study visits will be conducted in the countries who are members of the European Union (EU) and/or Council of Europe (CoE).
The expected results of the program should enable creators of domestic policies, primarily ministries of justice on all levels, to additionally enhance prison systems and carry out international obligations taken up by Bosnia and Herzegovina
2. Voluntary contribution of the US Government Support to prison staff training in Bosnia and Herzegovina
The Voluntary Contribution project financed by the United States of America justice authorities entitled "Support to prison staff training in Bosnia and Herzegovina" aims to contribute to further harmonisation of prisons’ practices and performances in BiH jurisdictions with European and internationals standards, by respecting the basic principles of the humane treatment of prisoners, but also security and safety of individuals in prison environment and in the community. The project also aims to advance management practices in BiH prisons in line with European and international standards.
Activities will primarily take place in Bosnia and Herzegovina, in both entities. A number of study visits will be organised in more developed jurisdictions and member countries of the European Union and Council of Europe.
The expected results should enable local policy makers, first and foremost in the Ministries of Justice at all levels, to further improve prison systems and thereby meet international standards that BiH authorities committed to implement.
- Horizontal Facility for the Western Balkans and Turkey
- Building democratic participation in the City of Mostar
- Initiative for Legal Certainty and Efficient Judiciary in Bosnia and Herzegovina – Phase II
- Media and Information Literacy: for Human Rights and More Democracy Project (2020 – 2022)
- Promoting good governance and Roma empowerment at local level – ROMACTED
- Support to more integral and inclusive electoral processes in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Support to penitentiary system towards sustainable rehabilitation of violent extremist prisoners in Bosnia and Herzegovina