Policy / Strategy developments and implementation
In understanding the interdependencies of human rights and social protection mechanisms, it is important to sustain intersectoral synergies and maintain co-operation, coordination and policy coherence in Roma and Traveller inclusion.
The Roma and Travellers Team encourages both line ministries at national level and other Council of Europe sectors to mainstream Roma and Travellers’ concerns. It is part of the terms of reference of the Ad Hoc Committee of Experts on Roma and Traveller Issues (CAHROM) to review the implementation of national Roma and/or Traveller integration strategies and action plans, exchange experience and identify - through thematic visits - good practices. Despite some notable progress with Roma and Traveller integration policies at different levels, as reflected in the Council of Europe online database of Roma and Traveller-related good practices, these communities continue to face multiple and inter-related discrimination in accessing various services. The economic and financial crises, as well as the increasing populism in Europe, have aggravated the situation further, and Roma and Travellers’ impoverishment, social exclusion, segregation and discrimination continue in various thematic or geographical areas. It is therefore imperative for member states to adopt comprehensive Roma and/or Traveller policies, empower these communities and enhance their participation in decision-making, as well as to maintain an explicit but not exclusively targeting approach vis-à-vis social inclusion and human rights protection.
- Recommendation Rec(2004)14 of the Committee of Ministers on the movement and encampment of Travellers in Europe
- Recommendation Rec(2001)17 of the Committee of Ministers on improving the economic and employment situation of Roma/Gypsies and Travellers
- Resolution Res(75)13 of the Committee of Ministers containing recommendations on the social situation of nomads in Europe
- Recommendation 1924(2010) of the Parliamentary Assembly on the situation of Roma in Europe and relevant activities of the Council of Europe
- Resolution 1740(2010) of the Parliamentary Assembly on the situation of Roma in Europe and relevant activities of the Council of Europe
- Recommendation 1203 (1993) of the Parliamentary Assembly on Gypsies en Europe
- Recommendation 563 (1969) of the Consultative Assembly on the situation of Gypsies and other travellers in Europe
- Thematic report on national experiences of social and/or geographical mapping of Roma communities and their concrete impact in policy developments and data collection (Croatia, Georgia, Hungary, North Macedonia, Moldova, Poland, Portugal and Ukraine)
- CAHROM Thematic Visit on Roma integration, policy development and coordination practices in countries with a small Roma population (Latvia, Finland, Lithuania, Norway and Slovenia)
- Thematic report on the role of central, local and regional authorities in implementing national Roma policies (Republic of Moldova, Finland, Romania, Slovenia)
- Thematic report on Roma integration, policy development and coordination practices in countries with a small Roma population (Latvia, Estonia, Finland, Georgia, Lithuania and Norway)
Host country in bold