Strengthening the capacity of the Turkish judiciary on freedom of expression
The main partner of the Project is Justice Academy of Turkey. Other beneficiaries are the High Council for Judges and Prosecutors, the Court of Cassation, the Council of State, the Constitutional Court, the Ministry of Justice.
The main objectives of the Project are:
- to contribute to a better protection of human rights and fundamental freedoms, especially the right to freedom of expression, in Turkey.
- to enhance the application of the European Convention on Human Rights and the European Court of Human Rights case law in the field of freedom of expression in the daily work of the judiciary.
The following outputs and results are expected:
- training curricula (in-person and online training courses) on freedom of expression and media is developed to improve capacity of Justice Academy;
- awareness-raising campaigns on freedom of expression and the media aimed at enhancing capacity of judges and prosecutors;
- capacity building activities on freedom of expression and media – training seminars, workshops, round tables etc.;
- effective cooperation among relevant actors (civil society, faculties of law, communication, bar associations, media etc.) and awareness of the public on freedom of expression.
The Council of Europe, under its joint Project with the EU “Strengthening the Capacity of Turkish Judiciary on Freedom of Expression” (link: https://www.coe.int/en/web/national-implementation/projects-by-geographical-area/turkey-foe), has produced user-friendly tool kits for the pre- and...
Closing Ceremony of the Project “Strengthening the Capacity of the Turkish Judiciary on Freedom of Expression”
The Closing Ceremony of the European Union/Council of Europe Joint Project “Strengthening the Capacity of Turkish Judiciary on Freedom of Expression” will take place on 28 March in Ankara, with the participation of the representatives of Project partners and stakeholders.The Closing Ceremony of...
An International Symposium on the Protection and Promotion of Freedom of Expression and Media Freedom will take place as the Project’s last event prior to the closing ceremony on 27 March 2017, in Ankara. During this one day event, international and Turkish experts will deliver presentations on a...