Improving the protection of European Human Rights Standards by the Constitutional Court
The main objective of the project is to improve the capacity of the Constitutional Court in ensuring the protection of individual human rights and fundamental freedoms through effective application of European human rights standards to individual complaints.
The project comprises a series of activities targeting judges and legal advisors of the Constitutional Court. These activities are aimed at strengthening its role in human rights protection in line with European standards.
The methodology will include a combination of various awareness raising and capacity building tools, high-quality expertise tailored to the needs of the key beneficiary and sharing of successful practices employed within the bodies of constitutional justice across Europe.
The main partner and direct beneficiary of the project is the Constitutional Court as the main implementer of the European Convention on Human Rights and constitutional oversight of judicial proceedings held in regular courts, including the application of the European Court of Human Rights.
The following results are expected:
- Developed capacity of the newly appointed Constitutional Court judges and newly recruited legal advisors to apply the European Convention on Human Rights;
- Improved organisational structure and working methods of the Constitutional Court;
- Improved normative and organisational base for strengthening the Legal unit of the Constitutional Court;
- Increased capacity of the Constitutional Court’s support services including communications unit and translators to apply the best European practices enhancing the functioning of the Court in general;
- Increased awareness of legal professionals and general population on the European human rights standards and the work of the Constitutional Court.
- Duration: 29 months (1 February 2019 – 1 June 2021)
- Place/ country: Kosovo*
- Budget: 500 000 €
- Funding: Voluntary contribution - Norway
- Practical guide with compilation on the case-law of the European Court of Human Rights on reasonable time of judicial proceedings - ENG
With English subtitles
With Serbian subtitles
With Turkish subtitles
Closing Conference of the Project
After two and half years of implementation, the project “Improving the Protection of European Human Rights by the Constitutional Court” came to the end of very exciting journey, following the implementation of comprehensive activities, with outstanding results. In this respect, the Closing...
Webinar on Case Management and Case Processing with the European Court of Human Rights
On 8 June 2021 an online workshop on use of electronic tools for effective case management and case processing applied by the European Court of Human Rights, was facilitated under the Project. The webinar was organised in the framework of activity supporting revamp of the case management system...
Webinar: Property Rights and the European Convention on Human Rights
On 19 February 2021, a webinar “Property Rights and the European Convention of Human Rights” was organised under the Project. It was facilitated by two international experts, Dr Maria Filatova, Professor at the Law School of University of Moscow, and Mr Ylli Peco, Lawyer at the Registry of the...
* "All reference to Kosovo, whether the territory, institutions or population, in this text shall be understood in full compliance with United Nation’s Security Council Resolution 1244 and without prejudice to the status of Kosovo."