Today, the Council of Europe Expert Group on Action against Violence against Women and Domestic Violence (GREVIO) published its first baseline evaluation report on Italy.
The report contains a comprehensive analysis of the implementation of the provisions of the Istanbul Convention. It highlights positive initiatives to prevent and combat all forms of violence against women and domestic violence at the national level and provides suggestions and proposals to improve the situation of women facing such violence.
GREVIO welcomes the wide range of measures taken by Italy to implement the Istanbul Convention which offer an expression of the authorities’ genuine political will to tackle violence against women. A succession of legislative reforms has created an extensive set of rules and mechanisms reinforcing the authorities’ ability to counter violence. Despite these steps, GREVIO has identified a number of areas where improvement is warranted. These include inter alia the need to develop further solutions offering a co-ordinated multiagency response to violence, to expand the coverage and capacity of specialist services which follow a human rights-based approach and to lift the barriers preventing victims from accessing an effective protection under protective orders.
- Comments of the Italian Government
Read press release - Violence against women in Italy: GREVIO calls for more preventive measures
Italian version of the Press release
- Interview of Ms Christina Olsen - 24 Ore
- ANSA Violenza donne: Strasburgo, Italia cambi custodia minori.
- ASKANEWS Bergamini: Ue bacchetta società e politica su parità di genere.
- AGENPRESS Violenza donne. Strasburgo, Italia cambi custodia minori. Non tiene conto delle vittime.
- EUNEWS.IT Donne, l’allarme del Consiglio d’Europa: in Italia troppe resistenze alla parità di genere.
- SIR 13/1 Diritti delle donne: Consiglio d’Europa, l’Italia ha “compiuto progressi” ma “la parità incontra resistenze”.
- 9COLONNE 13/1 Donne, Consiglio d’Europa: in Italia resistenze a uguaglianza (riepilogo).
- Huffington Post