The Council Of Europe's Relations with the OSCE
The relationship between the Council of Europe and the OSCE (previously the CSCE) is based on the common values of democracy, human rights and the rule of law, and the commitment of these organisations to mutual reinforcement of action, taking into consideration the differences in membership and working methods.
The various forms of consultation, liaison and co-operation which developed in the 90s were fixed in the Common Catalogue of Co-operation Modalities compiled by the two Secretariats in 2000. The Catalogue aimed “at guaranteeing the institutional memory and ensuring that existing good practice was not forgotten or lost.”
The Joint Statement signed by the Chairman of the CoE Committee of Ministers and the OSCE Chairman-in-Office in the margins of the Warsaw Summit in May 2005 and the Declaration on Co-operation between the CoE and the OSCE attached to it are still today important political guidelines for relations between the two organisations.
These modalities are regularly reviewed and adapted to the state and needs of co-operation between the two organisations.
There are three main forms of co-operation between the two organisations:
- High-level political contacts and meetings at senior officials level;
- Joint activities carried out in the framework of the Co-ordination Group and beyond;
- Co-operation “in the field”.
The CoE Liaison Offices in Vienna and Warsaw aim at achieving greater synergy and facilitating the co-operation between the Council of Europe and the OSCE and ODIHR.
- Exchange of letters between the Council of Europe and ODIHR (April 2015)
- Common Catalogue of Co-operative Modalities (2000)
- Declaration on reinforced co-operation between the CoE and the OSCE and Joint Statement signed by the Chairman-in-Office of the OSCE and the Chairman of the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe (Warsaw, 16-17 May 2005)
- Report "The Council of Europe and the OSCE: Enhancing Co-operation and Complementarity through Greater Coherence" (by Professor Gier Ulfstein)
- Report "Working together: the OSCE’s relationship with other relevant international organisations - Nine steps to effective OSCE engagement" (by Ambassador Lars-Erik Lundin)
- Relations between the Council of Europe and the OSCE (DER/inf(2011)1)
- Compendium of selected texts related to the relations between the Council of Europe and the OSCE (DER/Inf(2011)2)
- Relations between the Council of Europe and with the OSCE: The way forward