This year, 28 January is a very special day, not only for the Council of Europe, but for the entire global Data Protection community, and above all, for each and every individual protected by this essential right.
This year, 28 January is the 40th Anniversary of Convention 108, which was open for signature on 28 January 1981. It is also the 15th edition of Data Protection Day.
For 40 years, Convention 108 has influenced and shaped the protection of privacy and of data protection in Europe and beyond. Its modernised version (known as Convention 108+) will continue to do so.
To celebrate with us:
- a conference under the German chairmanship of the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe on Transborder transfers - Challenges of international data transfer from the perspective of the Convention 108+ and GDPR – 28 January 2021, 1 pm-4.30 pm CET (information and registration until 22 January here)
- three regional conferences to take stock of the input of Convention 108 in the world (see links for programme and connection details):
- a panel during the 2021 CPDP Conference on 40 Years of Data Protection and many more to come: Convention 108 and 108+ (28 January 2021, 6.30 pm-7.15 pm CET)
- a Declaration of the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe
- the release of a special issue of the Computer Law and Security Review
- the announcement of the Stefano Rodotà Award 2021
- and special wishes for the Convention : those of the Chair of the Committee of Convention 108 and of the Data protection Commissioner of the Council of Europe
40 members of the Data Protection Community in the world have recorded Happy Anniversary messages, emphasizing how Convention 108 is important for their respective country or organisation and their work. Be ready to witness their energy and get inspiration from this global community (video to be released on the 28th).
The Council of Europe provides you also with a yearly opportunity to be informed of the wealth of activities carried out to celebrate Data Protection Day in various countries and organisations participating in the Committee of Convention 108. See here
Find more details on the 15th Data Protection Day dedicated web page
Wishing you an EXCELLENT DATA PROTECTION DAY!