Preventing Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing in Serbia
The Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency and the Council of Europe signed an agreement on the funding of the project “Preventing Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing in Serbia” in December 2019. The project’s overall objective is to support Serbia with addressing the remaining Anti-Money Laundering/Countering Financing of Terrorism (AML/CFT) regulatory shortcomings thereby strengthening the country’s AML/CFT prevention and enforcement regime. The objective will be achieved by developing an effective and sustainable framework for preventing and supressing money laundering and terrorist financing in Serbia, inclusive of primary and secondary legislation, organisational solution, and specialisation.
In line with the above, the project expects to achieve the following outcomes:
- Strengthened compliance and oversight of AML/CFT financial and designated non-financial business and professions;
- Enhanced Non-Profit Organisations terrorist-financing risk management;
- Developed risk-based border controls related to cash and goods smuggling, terrorist financing, and proliferation;
- Increased transparency of beneficial ownership information for legal persons and arrangements;
- Enhanced criminal justice sector processing of money laundering and terrorist financing cases;
- Strengthened effectiveness in the confiscation of proceeds and instrumentalities of crime;
- Enhanced inter-agency cooperation on verification of asset declarations.
As part of the project "Preventing money laundering and terrorist financing in Serbia", the first module of the training on processing and adjudicating money laundering as a standalone criminal offence was organised for prosecutors, judges and law enforcement. The training was developed based on...
Working with Serbian authorities on assessing remaining gaps affecting risk-based AML/CFT prevention
On 25 and 26 September 2023, the project "Preventing Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing in Serbia" organised an assessment visit to Serbian institutions, supervisors of financial and non-financial sector. The primary objective of this visit was to conduct a comprehensive gap analysis in the...
As part of the project "Preventing money laundering and terrorist financing in Serbia", 6-7 September, training was held for employees of the Agency for the Prevention of Corruption and the Administration for the Prevention of Money Laundering on reporting suspicious transactions, as well as...
Unit for Eastern and South-Eastern Europe (E & SEE)
Contacts in Headquarters (Strasbourg)
Head of Unit
Mr Evgeni EVGENIEV
Phone: +33 (0)3 88 41 25 11
Fax: +33 (0)3 88 41 39 55
Email: Evgeni.EVGENIEV [at] coe.int
Junior Project officer
Ms Zahra GANJI
Phone: +33 (0)3 90 21 59 23
Email: Zahra.GANJI [at] coe.int
Contacts in Serbia
Ms Ana SELIC
Email: Ana.SELIC [at] coe.int
Senior Project Officer
Mr Predrag NIKOLIC
Phone: +381 11 71 555 00
Email: Predag.NIKOLIC [at] coe.int
Ms Sanja RASKOVIC
Phone: +381 11 71 555 00
Email: Sanja.RASKOVIC [at] coe.int
Council of Europe Office in Belgrade
Blue Center, block 26, building B
Spanskih boraca 3