Over 70 representatives of the Commission for Illegal Asset Forfeiture, Ministry of Justice, judges and prosecutors, attended two training events on the case law of the European Court of Human Rights on Confiscations and Asset Recovery. The two trainings took place in Sofia on 17 October 2016 and 14 November 2016.
The participants had an opportunity to learn and discuss with the Council of Europe expert on the ECHR case law relating Confiscation and Asset Recovery.
Among the topics discussed in the training events were:
- Admissibility Criteria for applications to ECHR
- Notion of possession under the ECHR and whether the proceeds of crime are considered possessions under the Convention;
- Application of fair trial guarantees to confiscation proceedings;
- Excessive length of seizure and confiscation proceedings;
- Asset freezing of third parties rights;
- ECHR Guarantees in Asset Recovery Proceedings
- Preventive Measures, Confiscation and the applicable Limb of 1P1
- Post confiscation measures: sale of assets