Secretary General and Director
Mathieu Mori (France) was elected as Secretary General of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe for a five-year term of office, on the occasion of the 43rd Session of the Congress on 25 October 2022 in Strasbourg.
The mandate of the new Secretary General of the Congress will take effect in January 2023
Rafael Benitez is the Director of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities.
The Director of the Congress is responsible for assisting the Secretary General with the management of the Congress Secretariat and with the fulfilment of the Congress mandate, providing support for its various bodies, and to contribute to the development and the implementation of the objectives of the Congress.
The Director is appointed by the Secretary General of the Council of Europe following consultation with the Bureau of the Congress.
- Mathieu Mori elected Secretary General of the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe
- “Congress and Assembly of European Regions share common values for European territorial governance”, says Andreas Kiefer
- Congress Secretary General reports on activities to the Committee of Ministers
- Reinventing democratic institutions with youth participation
- Young people as defenders of human rights and democracy in times of war
- Article: "The Congress of Local and regional Authorities - Fundamental reform and a new dynamic approach to monitoring" - [EN - DE]
- Article: Council of Europe Congress, championing local and regional democracy since 1957 [EN - DE - FR]
- Article: 1988-2018: 30th anniversary of the European Charter of Local Self-Government – taking stock of its core provisions [EN]