Preventing and combating violence against women and domestic violence in Armenia: continuing the path towards ratification of the Istanbul Convention
Start date: April 2019
Duration: April 2019 – August 2021 (30 months)
Budget: EUR 600,000
Donors: Donors contributing to the Council of Europe Action Plan for Armenia 2019–2022 (currently Germany, Ireland, Liechtenstein and Norway)
Contact person: Liana AMIRBEKYAN, Senior Project Officer
The Council of Europe project aims at strengthening the capacity of key stakeholders involved in preventing and combating violence against women and domestic violence, protecting the victims and prosecuting the perpetrators of violence as well as advancing gender equality.
ABOUT THE PROJECT
The project builds on the achievements of the previous project previous project “Preventing and combating violence against women and domestic violence in Armenia”. The Council of Europe focuses on providing information and knowledge about relevant European standards, in particular the Council of Europe Convention on preventing and combating violence against women and domestic violence (Istanbul Convention) and its implications for national policy and legal frameworks. The project gives timely support for the implementation of the recently adopted law on domestic violence in Armenia and paves the way for the ratification of the Istanbul Convention in Armenia.
The project will contribute to the following specific outcomes outlined in the Council of Europe’s Action Plan for Armenia for 2019–2022:
- Armenia is better prepared for the ratification of the Istanbul Convention.
- The Armenian legal and policy framework on preventing and combating domestic violence is in line with Council of Europe standards.
- Women victims of gender-based violence and domestic violence, including the most disadvantaged, have better access to justice and support services.
The project’s long-term impact aims that women in Armenia benefit from gender equality and protection against all forms of violence against women.
The project aims to:
- Enhance the knowledge of law enforcement and legal professionals, as well as journalists and other stakeholders on the law on domestic violence and European standards, notably the Istanbul Convention as they deal with the cases of domestic violence and violence against women;
- Strengthen the capacity of the Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs, public officials and social workers to apply European standards (notably the Istanbul Convention) as they implement the law on domestic violence and provide support for women victims of violence against women;
- Support gender sensibility in education by assisting in the development of curricula, courses and materials for primary and secondary schools.
- Support to the judicial reform – enhancing the independence and professionalism of the judiciary in Armenia
- Support to the judicial reform –supporting the criminal justice reform and harmonising the application of European standards in Armenia
- Strengthening institutional capacities to fight and prevent corruption in Armenia
- Human rights and women in the Armed Forces of Armenia
- Preventing and combating violence against women and domestic violence in Armenia: continuing the path towards ratification of the Istanbul Convention
- Democratic Development, Decentralisation and Good Governance in Armenia
- Institutional support to CAA
- Completed projects
- Support to Consolidating Local Democracy in Armenia (follow-up)
- Strengthening the Application of European Human Rights Standards in the Armed Forces in Armenia
- Preventing and Combating Violence against Women and Domestic Violence in Armenia
- Support to the implementation of the judicial reform in Armenia
- Strengthening the Health Care and Human Rights Protection in Prisons in Armenia
- Supporting the criminal justice reform and combating ill-treatment and impunity in Armenia
- Strengthening Integrity and Combatting Corruption in Higher Education in Armenia
- Support to Consolidating Local Democracy in Armenia
- Long-term Electoral Assistance to the Election Related Stakeholders of Armenia
- Community-Led Urban Strategies in Historic Towns (COMUS) Project
- Strengthening the Independence, Professionalism and Accountability of the Justice System in Armenia
- Support to the Establishment of Probation Service in Armenia
- Strengthening the application of the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR) and the case law of the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) in Armenia
- CoE/EU Regional Joint Project on Strengthening the lawyers’ capacity for domestic application of the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR) and of the Revised European Social Charter RESC
- Reducing the Use of Custodial Sentences in Line with European Standards
- Support for Access to Justice in Armenia