Action against corruption, money laundering and terrorist financing in Bosnia and Herzegovina
The “Action against corruption, money laundering and terrorist financing in Bosnia and Herzegovina” aims at contributing to and increasing the trust in the rule of law and democracy in Bosnia and Herzegovina through prevention and control of economic crimes in accordance with European and other international standards.
This action is implemented within the joint programme of the European Union and the Council of Europe “Horizontal Facility for the Western Balkans and Türkiye”, running from 2023 until 2026.
What are the goals and objectives of the action?
- to support authorities to fight and prevent corruption, money laundering and terrorist financing in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- to support competent authorities in further strengthening the legal and institutional framework for the prevention of corruption and anti-money laundering and countering the financing of terrorism
- to improve the track-record of implementation of the mentioned institutional framework to improve preventive measures of conflict of interest and asset declaration, supervision and sanctioning, prevention of terrorist financing and application of targeted financial sanctions
- to enforce provisional measures and confiscation of illicit assets
Who benefits from the action?
- The following institutions at state and entity levels will benefit from the action: Ministry of Security, Ministry of Justice, Financial Intelligence Unit, Banking sector supervisors, Indirect Taxation Authority, Ministry of Interior, and Prosecutor’s Office
- people of Bosnia and Herzegovina
How does the action work?
- by carrying out reviews and assessments
- by providing proposals for legislative and administrative changes, guidance and capacity-building, with the aim of providing pathways to the authorities to ensure compliance with the European standards
In order to enhance the impact and sustainability of the action on the prevention of economic crime and fully meet the needs of the beneficiaries, it is complemented by another project implemented by the Council of Europe and funded through voluntary contribution.
What do we expect to achieve?
- enhanced measures and capacities for corruption prevention
- improved supervision of anti-money laundering and counter-terrorism financing and enforcement of preventive measures
- strengthened capacities to effectively apply seizures and confiscations of illegal assets
What is the budget of the action?
The total budget of the action is 230 000 Euros.
The budget allocated to the overall Horizontal Facility programme amounts to ca. 41 Million EUR (85% funded by the European Union, 15% by the Council of Europe).
How to get more information?
- Council of Europe: Economic Crime and Co-operation Division
Horizontal Facility website and e-mail address
About Horizontal Facility for the Western Balkans and Türkiye
The “Horizontal Facility for the Western Balkans and Türkiye” is a joint initiative of the European Union and the Council of Europe that enables the Western Balkans Beneficiaries and Türkiye to meet their reform agendas in the fields of human rights, rule of law and democracy and to comply with the European standards, which is also a priority for the EU enlargement process.