The Presidents of Parliament from the 47 Council of Europe member states and many partner, observer and neighbouring countries, along with the Presidents of other international assemblies, will be meeting in Strasbourg on 24 and 25 October 2019 for a European parliamentary summit.
Some 60 Presidents, together with 300 other delegates, are expected to attend the conference, organised by the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe (PACE). They will be discussing three current affairs issues:
- “Our Common European Home”: the next 70 years, presented by Richard Ferrand, President of the National Assembly of France, and Marina Carobbio Guscetti, President of the National Council of Switzerland.
- Implementing the UN 2030 Agenda and its Sustainable Development Goals: contribution by parliaments, presented by Gabriela Cuevas Barron, President of the Inter-Parliamentary Union.
- Women in politics and in the public discourse – what role can national parliaments play in combating the increasing level of harassment and hate speech towards female politicians and parliamentarians, presented by Tone Wilhelmsen Trøen, President of Norway’s Stortinget and Michael Kaufman, author and co-founder of the White Ribbon Campaign.
PACE President Liliane Maury Pasquier and Council of Europe Secretary General Marija Pejčinović Burić will give the opening addresses on Thursday 24 October at 11 am.
- Read full article - European summit of Presidents of Parliament in Strasbourg
- Conference special webpage
- Photo gallery
- Opening speech by Liliane Maury Pasquier
- Opening speech by Marija Pejčinović Burić
Video of the opening speech by Liliane Maury Pasquier
Video of the opening speech by Marija Pejčinović Burić