Strengthening the implementation of European human rights standards in Ukraine
The main partners and beneficiaries of the Project are the Ombudsperson’s Office, the National Police, the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine, investigators of various institutions, national legal professionals’ training institutions, the Ukrainian Bar, the Ministry of Interior, the Ministry of Justice, etc.
The main objectives of the Project are:
- to support the implementation of the police reform and fight against ill-treatment and impunity;
- to enhance the operational capacity of the Ombudsperson’s Office in the sphere of implementation of National Preventive Mechanism, non-discrimination and data protection advocacy;
- to promote the implementation of the European Convention on Human Rights at the national level through trainings.
The following outputs and results are expected:
- legal expertise and advice provided by experts of the Council of Europe;
- capacity building activities for different groups of legal professionals in Ukraine;
- awareness-raising campaigns aimed at promotion of human rights standards;
- elaboration and promotion of the Human Rights Education for Legal Professionals (HELP) Programme in Ukraine;
- legal expertise and advice in the course of drafting and adoption of national legislation;
- assessment of the Ombudsperson’s Office and recommendations for optimisation;
- capacity building activities – training seminars, workshops, round tables etc.;
- elaboration and implementation of distance learning courses for legal professionals in Ukraine through the HELP platform.
Training of trainers of the European Programme for Human Rights Education for Legal Professionals of the Council of Europe (“HELP”) was conducted on 25-28 September 2017 in Odessa, Ukraine. The group of 26 lawyers, representatives of the National Academy of Interior and the National Prosecutors...