Georgia-Supporting Parliamentary Oversight over Execution of the European Court Judgments in Georgia
The main partners and beneficiaries of the Project are Georgian Government Agent's Office before the European Court of Human Rights, Parliament of Georgia, Human Rights Committee of the Parliament, Members of Parliament and high ranking officials in EaP countries, Members of Parliaments of other member states.
The main aim is to strengthen domestic monitoring mechanisms for implementation of ECtHR judgments.
Three expected results are foreseen under the project:
- Strengthen Georgian Parliament’s capacity to conduct effective oversight of the implementation of ECtHR judgments
- Improve cooperation with civil society and national human rights institutions
- Reinforce reporting mechanisms for systematic dialogue between the executive and parliament
With a view to achieving these results, several activities will be implemented:
- Establishment of a working group to draw recommendations for the improvement of coordination and collaboration between state agencies, parliament and Civil Society Organizations and develop national strategy and action plan for monitoring and execution of ECtHR judgments;
- Expert review of the existing legal framework and practice of the parliament Legal Issues and Human Rights Committees on oversight on execution of ECtHR judgments by the government;
- Workshop for SCO’s on working methods of the CM for supervision of the execution of the ECtHR judgments on importance of effective data collection and the role of alternative reporting on the state of execution of ECtHR judgments;
- Workshop for the operational staff of the Parliament’s relevant committees i.e. Legal, Human Rights and Civic Integration to collect and analyse the relevant information for effective monitoring of the execution of judgments by MPs;
- International Conference on national mechanisms of implementation of ECHR standards with focus on Parliamentary oversight;
- Complementing/update/adaptation of the HELP courses in relation to implementation of the ECHR.
- Development of tailored training module for the staff members of the Legal Issues and Human Rights and Civic Integration Committees of the parliament on effective analytical work and legal research;
- Development of tailored training module for the staff members of the Legal Issues and Human Rights and Civic Integration Committees of the parliament on the role of parliament in implementation of ECHR;
- Training of Trainers (ToT) on implementation of Human Rights;
- Cascade trainings/seminars for the members of the parliament and staff members on ECHR and Human Rights based on developed training modules;
- Training for the members of the parliament and staff members on effective drafting national strategies, policy documents and action plans;
- Training for SCO’s and staff members of the parliament on execution of ECtHR judgments
- Duration: 23 months (1 April 2019 – 31 March 2021)
- Place/country: Georgia
- Budget: EUR 200 000
- Funding: Human Rights Trust Fund (HRTF)
Launch of the HELP online course Introduction to the European Convention on Human Rights and the European Court of Human Rights in Georgia
The Council of Europe launched the HELP online course Introduction to the European Convention on Human Rights and the European Court of Human Rights bringing together international experts, representatives of civil society organisations and legal staff of the parliament working on parliamentary...
Working with civil society organisations on supporting process of full implementation of European Convention on Human Rights standards at national level
On 28 May 2020, the Council of Europe organised an online seminar for the representatives of civil society organisations on effective execution of ECtHR judgments at national level. Participants learned about the working methods of Committee Ministers of the Council of Europe, main problems...
On 15 May 2020, the Council of Europe organised an online seminar for the legal staff of the Parliament on Effective execution of the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) judgments at national level. The online seminar focused on working methods of the Committee Ministers of the Council of...