15-year-old boy stabbed to death outside a school after authorities failed to act

Kayak v. Turkey  | 2012

15-year-old boy stabbed to death outside a school after authorities failed to act

… in the circumstances of the present case, the national authorities failed in their duty to supervise the premises of the school …

Judgment of the European Court of Human Rights, July 2012


In the early 2000s, a school in Elazığ was having problems outside its gates. Students were being harassed and blackmailed by gangs of young people when they tried to leave the school. The director of the school told the authorities. He asked for a guardian’s lodge to be set up outside the gates and for the police to be present on particularly difficult days. However, neither of those things was provided.

In September 2002, following a dispute 15 year-old Sedat Kayak was stabbed to death by an older student just outside the school.

Judgment of the European Court of Human Rights

The European court ruled that the authorities had a duty to protect children against violence whilst they were under school supervision. In this case, the authorities had failed in that duty – violating the right to life.  


A series of action plans were carried out by the Turkish government to address school violence. Measures included the following:

  • The creation of executive boards in provinces, districts and schools in charge of preventing and de-escalating violence among peers;
  • A significant nationwide increase in security officers and security checks at school entrances;
  • Annual security action plans prepared by each school, as well as psychological and social steps to tackle difficult situations.

A number of additional security measures were taken in the school where the incident took place, including having a guardian at the school gates and installing a video security system.

Sedat Kayak’s family was awarded compensation.

Related examples

Deadly attack on woman and her son leads to ongoing reforms to combat domestic violence

Elisaveta Talpis’s husband physically abused her for years. She complained to the police, but they took no action for months. One night Elisaveta’s husband attacked her with a knife, wounding her and killing her son when he tried to intervene. The European court condemned the police’s inaction, leading to reforms to address domestic violence in Italy.

Read more

Court win for victims of the Beslan school terrorism attack

In September 2004, over 330 people were killed (including over 180 children) and 750 injured in the Beslan hostage crisis. The authorities had had enough information to know that there would be an upcoming terrorist attack, but had not increased security or warned the public. Due to this shortcoming and others, the European Court ruled that the authorities had failed to properly protect the...

Read more

Parents win fight for justice following their son’s death

Gregor Šilih was 20 when he died in hospital. His parents believed that medical negligence was to blame. They launched legal proceedings to find out the truth. Thirteen years later their claim had still not been resolved. The European court ruled that the authorities had failed to take effective steps to discover the truth. The case led to reforms to prevent the same thing from happening again.

Read more

Justice for the mother of two murdered children

Dana Kontrová repeatedly warned the police that her husband was violent and unstable. One day the police failed to take action after being told the man was threatening his family with a shotgun. Two days later he murdered his children before committing suicide. The European court ruled that the authorities had failed in their duty to protect the children, violating the right to life.

Read more

Reform of gun laws after police shoot dead unarmed men

Two 21-year-olds absconded from military service and went to see their grandmother. When military police arrived, the men were unarmed and non-violent - and tried to run away. Nevertheless, they were shot dead. The Strasbourg court ruled that the military police had used grossly excessive force. This case, and others, led to changes in the rules on the authorities’ use of firearms.

Read more

Death of an alleged victim of human trafficking

At age 20, Oxana Rantseva was allegedly trafficked from Russia to Cyprus for sexual exploitation. Two weeks later, she was found dead beneath a balcony after trying to escape. The Strasbourg court found that the authorities had failed to protect her and also failed to properly investigate after her death. Following the events, a series of measures were carried out to fight human trafficking.

Read more

Failure to investigate death of a disabled man in police custody leads to reforms

Valdis Jasinskis was deaf and mute. He fell down some stairs outside a party and banged his head. The police were told about his injury and his disability, but they locked him in a cell and ignored his attempts to communicate. Mr Jasinskis later died in hospital, and the incident was not properly investigated. This led to a series of measures to help make sure that the police can be properly...

Read more

Death of a detainee leads to changes to medical practices in prison

A young man suffering from psychosis and depression was imprisoned for theft. Whilst in jail, he committed suicide. The Strasbourg court ruled that the authorities had not done enough to protect his life. New rules were set up to help prison staff prevent inmates committing suicide.

Read more

"Totally insufficient" investigation of a suspicious death and the reform of criminal investigations

Tatiana Trufin’s brother was killed in suspicious circumstances. Despite evidence of an attack, the authorities did very little to investigate for the next 12 years. The Strasbourg court ruled that their efforts had been totally insufficient. This influenced reforms to improve the effectiveness of criminal investigations in Romania.

Read more