Human rights, Democracy, Rule of Law
The Council of Europe advocates freedom of expression and of the media, freedom of assembly, equality, and the protection of minorities. It has launched campaigns on issues such as child protection, online hate speech, and the rights of the Roma, Europe's largest minority. The Council of Europe helps member states fight corruption and terrorism and undertake necessary judicial reforms. Its group of constitutional experts, known as the Venice Commission, offers legal advice to countries throughout the world.
The Council of Europe promotes human rights through international conventions, such as the Convention on Preventing and Combating Violence against Women and Domestic Violence and the Convention on Cybercrime. It monitors member states' progress in these areas and makes recommendations through independent expert monitoring bodies. All Council of Europe member states have abolished the death penalty.
- Group of States against Corruption (GRECO)
- European Committee for the Prevention of Torture and Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment (CPT)
- Group of Experts on Action against Trafficking in Human Beings (GRETA)
- European Commission for the Efficiency of Justice (CEPEJ)
- Committee of Experts on the Evaluation of Anti-Money Laundering Measures and the Financing of Terrorism (MONEYVAL)
- European Commission against Racism and Intolerance (ECRI)
- European Committee of Social Rights (ECSR)
- Advisory Committee on the Framework Convention for the Protection of National Minorities
- Committee of Experts of the European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages
Did you know?
The 10 000 pharmaceutical products manufactured and sold in Europe are subject to strict controls thanks to the work of the European Directorate for the Quality of Medicines & HealthCare.
The Council of Europe is a separate organisation from the 28-member European Union. But no country has ever joined the Union without first having been a member of the Council of Europe. How many member states does the Council of Europe have?