History and history teaching have been a focus for the Council of Europe’s work on education since its inception.
From the start and as stated in the European Cultural Convention, the organisation recognised the importance of history as a basis for the education of the citizens of Europe and its role in bridging differences and bringing people together by establishing mutual understanding and confidence between the peoples of Europe. Read more >>
Quality history education in the 21st century
Principles and guidelines
History education has an important role to play in confronting the current political, cultural and social challenges facing Europe; in particular, those posed by the increasingly diverse nature of societies, the integration of migrants and refugees into Europe, and by attacks on democracy and democratic values.
Educating for Diversity and Democracy: teaching history in contemporary Europe
This project aims to enhance the expertise and capability required of policy makers in member states in addressing the major cultural and political challenges facing history education in Europe today
Developing a culture of co-operation - When teaching and learning history
Developing a culture of co-operation when teaching and learning history is an interactive e-book with links to external sources. It is intended for use in teachers’ education and is suitable for any mode of teacher training.
This publication,designed for self-study, is now available.
Intergovernmental project Educating for diversity and democracy: teaching history in contemporary Europe
- Published: Quality history education in the 21st century - Principles and guidelines
Intergovernmental project Educating for diversity and democracy: teaching history in contemporary Europe-Phase II
Dissemination seminar What should teachers be concerned about?, Porto University, Portugal 31 May - 1 June 2018
- Meeting of the core group of experts, Strasbourg, 12-13 April 2018 : preparation of guidelines on quality of history education in the situation of growing diversity in the 21st century. Cancelled.
- Fourth Regional Seminar, Belgrade, Serbia, 4- 5 October 2017
- Third Regional Seminar, Utrecht, Netherlands, 28-29 June 2017
- Second Regional Seminar, Alexandroupoli, Greece, 11-12 October 2016
- First Regional Seminar, Tallinn, State University, Estonia, 1-2 June 2016