Preventing and Combating Violence against Women and Domestic Violence in Armenia
Start date: 17 April 2018
Duration: until 31 December 2018
Donor: Donors contributing to the Council of Europe Action Plan for Armenia 2015–18; currently Norway and France
Partners: Academy of Justice and the Police of Armenia
Contact person: Liana Amirbekyan, Project Officer
The Project “Preventing and Combating Violence against Women and Domestic Violence in Armenia” aims at strengthening the capacity of key stakeholders involved in preventing and combating violence against women and domestic violence. The Council of Europe focuses on increasing the knowledge of professionals and facilitating exchanges and best practices in the implementation of the Armenian new law on domestic violence and of the relevant European standards, in particular, the Council of Europe Istanbul Convention on preventing and combating violence against women and domestic violence. The project supports the implementation of the Council of Europe Action Plan for Armenia 2015–18.
The project objectives are:
- To increase the knowledge of legal professionals on how to put the victim and her needs at the centre when dealing with the cases of violence against women and domestic violence. This approach will be implemented through targeted trainings, peer-to-peer exchanges and expert support to develop a training curriculum for the Academy of Justice.
- To strengthen the knowledge of law enforcement professionals on violence against women and domestic violence through targeted trainings, development of a practical handbook for police officers to deal with cases and dissemination of relevant materials.
- To raise awareness on the Council of Europe Istanbul Convention and its standards among relevant stakeholders.
The project partners are the Academy of Justice and the Police of Armenia. Additionally, the Council of Europe co-operates with different state institutions, non-governmental organisations and international and donor organisations working in the field of combating violence against women and domestic violence.
The project is implemented by the Capacity Building and Co-operation Projects Unit at the Council of Europe’s Equality Division of the Human Dignity and Gender Equality Department, together with the Council of Europe Office in Armenia
- National projects
- Preventing and Combating Violence against Women and Domestic Violence in Armenia
- Support to the implementation of the judicial reform in Armenia
- Strengthening the Application of European Human Rights Standards in the Armed Forces in Armenia
- Supporting the criminal justice reform and combating ill-treatment and impunity in Armenia
- Strengthening the health care and human rights protection in prisons in Armenia
- Institutional support to CAA
- Support to Consolidating Local Democracy in Armenia
- Completed projects
- Strengthening Integrity and Combatting Corruption in Higher Education in Armenia
- Support to the Establishment of Probation Service in Armenia