Video - Human Rights for the Planet
Opening of the conference: Robert Spano, President and Linos-Alexander Sicilianos, Former President of the European Court of Human Rights, Marija Pejčinović Burić, Secretary General of the Council of Europe, Michelle Bachelet, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Irakli Giviashvili, Ambassador of Georgia.
Judge Paul Lemmens, ECtHR
Anthropocentric or ecocentric human rights? The environment in the case-law of international tribunals.
- Natalia Kobylarz, Senior Lawyer at the ECtHR: Overview of environmental case-law of the ECtHR.
- Jorge Calderón Gamboa, Secretary at Suprema Corte de Justicia de la Nación and former Senior Lawyer at the IACtHR: Right to a healthy environment, extraterritorial jurisdiction, right to collective property of indigenous land and natural resources, discrimination, and dignified life.
- Professor Catherine Redgwell, University of Oxford and All Souls College and Professor Alan Boyle, University of Edinburgh, and barrister, Essex Court Chambers, London: From anthropocentric to ecocentric human rights.
Jon Fridrik Kjølbro, Vice-President of the ECtHR
Towards environmental democracy? Participatory Rights
- Judge Lado Chanturia, ECtHR: Participatory rights under the ECHR
- Fiona Marshall, Secretary, Aarhus Convention Compliance Committee: Participatory rights under the Aarhus Convention
- James Thornton, CEO Client Earth (video message) and Ugo Taddei, Head of Clean Air at ClientEarth: Strategic air pollution law suits in Europe. Legal standing of concerned individuals and NGOs before administrative and civil courts.
Ambassador Irakli Giviashvili, Georgia
Air Pollution and Environmental Disasters – Court Rulings and Their Enforcement.
- Judge Tim Eicke, ECtHR: Air pollution and risk assessment for natural disasters under the ECHR. The notions of “civil right” and specific and imminent danger under Article 6.
- Professor Marta Torre-Schaub, CNRS, Paris II: What Approach to Precautionary Principle and Causality? Lessons from climate change litigation.
- Clare Ovey, CoE Execution of Judgments: How to ensure better compliance with ECtHR judgments and prevention of violations?
Judge Ksenija Turkovic, ECtHR
Climate change and protection of the environment, a question of policy or of human rights law?
- Rik Daems, President of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe: Climate change and protection of the environment as a question of State policy?
- Professor Christina Voigt, Oslo University: Climate change and protection of the environment as a question of human rights law?
- President Robert Spano, ECtHR: Should the European Court of Human Rights become Europe’s environment and climate change court?