Ukraine - protecting national minorities, including Roma, and minority languages
13 Oct 2021 09:10:00
The Steering Committee Meeting of the Council of Europe project “Strengthening the Protection of National Minorities, including Roma, and Minority Languages in Ukraine” took placeKyiv, Ukraine 13 October 2021
The Steering Committee meeting of the Council of Europe project “Strengthening the Protection of...
12 Oct 2021 11:49:00
Call for tender on purchase of services for production of visibility products for the implementation of the Information Campaign “Society without prejudices” within the Council of Europe Project “Strengthening the protection of national minorities, including Roma, and minority languages in Ukraine” – Phase IIKyiv, Ukraine 12 October 2021
The Council of Europe Project “Strengthening the protection of national minorities, including...
01 Oct 2021 12:10:00
Newsletter "Strengthening protection of national minorities, including Roma and minority languages in Ukraine"Kyiv, Ukraine 01 October 2021
Dear partners! We present the Newsletter of the Council of Europe project "Strengthening...
27 Sep 2021 15:31:00
We present the first issue of the Almanac, which is dedicated to the First Kyiv International Forum on Roma InclusionKyiv, Ukraine 27 September 2021
The Forum was held on 27 May 2021 at the initiative of the Ukrainian Parliament Commissioner for...
The Council of Europe continues to support its member states to implement European human rights standards at national level through revision of legislation, capacity development and exchange of best practices.
To contribute to this process, the Council of Europe is implementing a project on ''Protecting national minorities, including Roma, and minority languages in Ukraine''. The project started in March 2018 and it is part of the Council of Europe Action Plan for Ukraine 2018-2021.
- Through the bilateral work with the public authorities in charge of minority issues;
- Expertise and advice provided to strengthen the institutions dealing with national minorities and the consultations with national minorities;
- Capacity building activities for national minority organisations and public authorities, to support the development of knowledge about related CoE standards and recommendations;
- The project is based on concrete recommendations of the two monitoring bodies of the Council of Europe’s Framework Convention for the Protection of National Minorities and the European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages. It is also linked to the work programme of the Ad Hoc Committee of Experts on Roma and Traveller Issues (CAHROM).
- Strengthening the protection of national minorities and minority languages in Ukraine by reinforcing relevant policies, improving consultations with national minorities, strengthening the capacities and competences of public authorities dealing with the protection of national minorities and raising public awareness.
- Facilitating the receipt of identity documents by Roma without IDs, including internally displaced Roma.
- Institutionalising and reinforcing the recognition of the profession of Roma health mediator in Ukraine; improving access of Roma communities to public health care and social services.
- National authorities involved in the protection of national minorities, including Roma, and minority languages – Ministry of Culture, Ministry of Education and Science, Office of the Ombudsperson, Ministry of Social Policy, Ministry of Internal Affairs, Ministry of information Policy, State Migration Service, National Police and others.
- Regional State Administrations and district administrations of Ukraine dealing with protection of national minorities.
- Civil society organisations, including national minorities’ organisations.