[Last update: 5 August 2013]
Gateway to external information
Information by country
- EU Bookshop provides free access to publications from the European Union institutions, agencies and other bodies. It includes a digital library containing more than 100 000 publications, including historical ones, in all official EU languages.
- EUR-Lex provides direct free access to European Union legislation. The system makes it possible to consult the Official Journal of the European Union and it includes inter alia the treaties, legislation, case-law and legislative proposals. It offers extensive search facilities. The new site is the result of merging the EUR-Lex site with the CELEX database on European law.
- UNESCO documents: bibliographic records and full text of UNESCO documents, publications, periodicals since 1945; bibliographic records of the library's acquisitions.
- United Nations Treaties collection: The website of the United Nations Treaties collection provides three databases: the Multilateral treaties deposited with the Secretary General, the United Nations Treaty Series and the monthly Statement of Treaties and International Agreements. They give access - via simple or advanced search - to the online texts in PDF, available in several languages. Users can subscribe to the automated depository notifications. Furthermore, the website offers also the possibility to consult and download publications from the Treaty Section, and to consult reports and photos of treaty events of 2009.
Information by country
- One World - Nations Online
This site gathers practical information and data by country and by subject (maps, flags, language, international standards, people, culture, tourism, education, history, etc.) as well as links to official sites and to a selection of newspapers and magazines of the country.
- The World Factbook
This site, developed by the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) of the United States, gives access to information, by country, on history, people, economy, geography, communication, transport and military. It also provides comparative lists of data or of reference by country (e.g.: number of Internet users, standards used).
The Central and Eastern European Online Library (C.E.E.O.L.) is a virtual library which provides access to the table of contents in PDF of more than 500 journals in the field of humanities and social sciences in/about Central and Eastern Europe. Search is possible with an advanced search engine, or from lists of journal titles or author names sorted by country or subject.
- Directory of Open Access Journals
This online service provides access to free, full text, quality controlled scientific and scholarly journals, covering all subjects and languages. There are now 3575 journals in the directory, of which nearly a third are searchable at article level.
This online database of journal articles and other academic and scientific publications, mainly in English, provides contents and abstracts. Search can be made by one or several criteria (title, author, etc.) or by keywords from title or abstract. The site offers also the possibility to browse titles, subjects and publishers. Sign in is free and allows to set up e-mail alerts or RSS feeds and save requests. Access to full text is available by pay-per-view.
- Persée - Journals in humanities and social sciences
This website provides free access to more than eighty French journals in full text in social sciences. It is offered by the Ministry of Higher Education and Research.
The site of Heriot-Watt University library provides access to tables of contents of a large amount of journals as well as to articles abstract. An alphabetical list gives access to last issues of each journal. And a search by name of journal gives access to oldest issues. There is a possibility to set-up RSS-feeds.
- Presseurop.eu - Press articles on European affairs. This portal offers a selection of press articles on European affairs, supplemented by comment, analysis and illustration. The site also offers translations into as many languages as possible of the articles.
- Online Dictionaries:
. Your dictionnary
- The Multilingual Archival Terminology of the International Council on Archives (ICA) is a database of archival terminology usage. It is intended to facilitate communication and understanding of records-related concepts across a variety of languages, cultures, and traditions of archival practice.
- The Virtual Reference Collection of the Central Library of the European Commission gives access to official texts, news and statistics from the European Commission.
- Worldometers.info provides real-time world statistics in a counter format updated each millisecond. The data are sorted by topic (world population, economy, politic, environment, etc.) and are based on data published by various organisations and statistical offices in the world. This site is available in several languages and is managed by an international team of developers, researchers, and volunteers.
- European Centre for Minority Issues (ECMI) conducts practice-oriented research, provides information and documentation, and offers advisory services concerning minority-majority relations in Europe. It serves European governments and regional intergovernmental organizations as well as non-dominant groups in the European area.
- European Navigator (ENA) is a bank of data of knowledge (English-French), developed by the Virtual Resource Center for Knowledge about Europe (or CVCE). It provides a wide range of multimedia documents devoting historical events since 1945 and the European organisations: speeches, historical documents, photos, sound clips, film recordings, treaties, interviews, interactive maps and diagrams, press articles...
- Refworld is an online database developed by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) for experts and decision-makers in determining asylum claims.
This tool gives access to more than 108 000 legal and political documents from different sources, via multiple and advanced possibilities for browsing by region and/or country, by publisher, by topic or keyword and by document type. In addition, it has a powerful full text search engine and advanced searching facilities.
- ODS (Official documents of the United Nations) is a multilingual website which provides access to all types of official United Nations documents, as of 1993. Older official documents are added on a regular basis. Adopted resolutions of the General Assembly, Security Council, Economic and Social Council and the Trusteeship Council from 1946 onwards can be searched in simple, complex or global mode and downloaded in full text.
This website compiles more than 500 blogs on European Union activities. Contributions are written basically by media professionals, interested citizens and political parties. Articles are grouped by subject (for example: Lisbon Treaty, institutional affairs, environment, information society), date, or name of blog. Users can set up RSS feeds, subscribe to the newsletter and contribute.