Committee of Ministers Chairmanship – Luxembourg: May - November 2002
Back to Press Releases
Luxembourg Chairmanship sets out priorities
Vilnius, 03.05.2002 - Lydie Polfer, Luxembourg Vice-Prime Minister and Foreign Minister, today presented the priorities of the Luxembourg Chairmanship of the Council of Europe for the next six months.
Entitled "Good governance : achieving the fundamental objectives of the Council of Europe", the programme revolves around the following main themes :
- gradual creation of a Europe which is united around the same values
- guarantee of a common European area of law and of respect for the human being
- ongoing strengthening of co-operation with the other organisations and institutions
- contribution to dealing with the problems of society faced by European states
- seeking of policies and projects which are close to the citizens
- follow-up to politically sensitive situations in some member and applicant states
- strengthening of links with observer states.
In order to achieve these objectives, the Chairmanship intends to organise several meetings in Luxembourg before November 2002:
- on 17 September: a symposium gathering judges of both the Court of Justice of the European Communities and the European Court of Human Rights
- on 20 and 21 September: a European conference on mayors' and local authorities' responsibility in the face of terrorism
- on 30 September and 1 October: a conference on freedom of the media in Europe
- from 17 to 19 October: a European seminar to promote the European Language Portfolio.
Henriette Girard, Council of Europe Spokesperson and Press Division
Tel. +33 3 88 41 21 41 - Fax. +33 3 88 41 39 11