The main objective of the visit was to review the measures taken by the Ukrainian authorities in response to the recommendations made by the Committee after previous visits. In particular, attention was paid to the treatment and conditions of detention of persons in police custody and prisoners. The delegation also examined the treatment, conditions and legal safeguards offered to psychiatric patients, residents of social care institutions (“Internats”), as well as immigration detainees.
In the course of the visit, the delegation had consultations with Denys Chernyshov, Deputy Minister of Justice, Tetyana Kovalchuk, Deputy Minister of the Interior, Oleksandra Churkina, Deputy Minister of Social Policy, as well as with senior officials from the Ministries of Justice, the Interior, Health and Social Policy, the Security Service of Ukraine and the Prosecutor General’s Office. In addition, talks were held with the Ombudsperson Valeriia Lutkovska and the Head of the National Preventive Mechanism (NPM) Department Kateryna Chumak. The delegation also met representatives of non-governmental and international organisations active in areas of concern to the CPT.
At the end of the visit, the delegation presented its preliminary observations to the Ukrainian authorities.
The visit was carried out by the following members of the CPT:
- George Tugushi (Head of delegation)
- Marzena Ksel, 1st Vice-President of the CPT
- Djordje Alempijević
- Alexander Minchev
- Vytautas Raškauskas
- Ivona Todorovska.
They were supported by Borys Wódz (Head of Division) and Natacha De Roeck of the CPT’s Secretariat, and assisted by two experts, Andres Lehtmets, Head of the Centre of Psychiatry, West Tallinn Central Hospital (Estonia) and Michael Kellett, former Detective Chief Inspector in the Lancashire Constabulary (United Kingdom).
The delegation visited the following places of deprivation of liberty:
- Chernivtsi Temporary Holding Facility (ITT)
- Dnipro ITT
- Dnipro District Police Division
- Kalush ITT
- Kremenchuk Police Unit
- Kyiv ITT
- Kyiv Shevchenkivskyi District Police Division
- Nadvirna ITT
- Poltava ITT
- Poltava Oktyabrskyi District Police Division
- Pustomyty ITT
- Zhovkva ITT
State Border Guard Service establishments
- Chernivtsi Temporary Detention Place (TDP)
- Lviv TDP
Security Service of Ukraine (SSU) establishments
- SSU Temporary Detention Facility, Kyiv
- Chernivtsi Penitentiary Institution No. 33
- Ivano-Frankivsk Penitentiary Institution No. 12
- Kremenchuk Educational Colony for Juveniles
- Kyiv Pre-Trial Detention Centre (SIZO)
- Lviv Penitentiary Institution No. 19
- Lychakivska Prison No. 30, Lviv
- Kyiv Municipal Psychiatric Hospital No. 3 (Hlevakha)
- Dnipro High-Security Psychiatric Hospital
- Poltava Regional Psychiatric Hospital
Social care establishments
- Kyiv Svyatoshinskyi Psychoneurological Institution (“Internat”)