In the course of the visit, particular attention was paid to the treatment and conditions of detention of persons in police custody and penitentiary establishments, including remand prisoners and sentenced female and male prisoners in correctional colonies. Further, the delegation examined the situation of patients held in two Regional Psychiatric Hospitals in Far East regions of Russia.
During the visit, the delegation held consultations with Evgeniy ZABARCHUK, First Deputy Minister of Justice, Vsevolod VUKOLOV, Deputy Minister of Justice, Valery BALAN, Deputy Director of the Federal Penitentiary Service (FSIN), Oleg SALAGAY, Deputy Minister of Health, and Olga BATALINA, Deputy Minister of Labour and Social Protection, as well as with senior officials of the aforementioned Ministries, the Ministry of Internal Affairs and the FSIN.
In addition, meetings were held with representatives of the Office of the Human Rights Commissioner of the Russian Federation and representatives of non-governmental organisations active in areas of concern to the CPT.
At the end of the visit, the delegation presented its preliminary observations to the Russian federal authorities.
The visit was carried out by the following members of the CPT:
- Mark Kelly, Head of delegation
- Djordje Alempijević
- Régis Bergonzi
- Julia Kozma
- Alexander Minchev
- Aleksandar Tomcuk.
They were supported by Elvin Aliyev and Natacha De Roeck of the Committee's Secretariat and assisted by one expert, Cyrille Orizet, psychiatrist at European Georges-Pompidou Hospital in Paris (France).
The delegation visited the following places of deprivation of liberty:
- Temporary Detention Facility (IVS) of the Bryansk City Internal Affairs Department
- IVS of the Khabarovsk City Internal Affairs Department
- IVS of the Krasnodar City Internal Affairs Department
- IVS of the Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk City Internal Affairs Department
- IVS of the Zubova-Polyana City Internal Affairs Department
- Special Reception Centre for Persons under Administrative Arrest (No. 2), Bryansk
- Special Reception Centre for Persons under Administrative Arrest, Khabarovsk
- Criminal Investigation Division of the Bryansk City Internal Affairs Department
- Police Station No. 5, Khabarovsk
- Police Station “Gidrostroy”, Karasunskiy District Division of Internal Affairs, Krasnodar
- Special Holding Facility for Detained Persons (SPSZL), Krasnodar
- SPSZL, Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk
- Pre-trial establishment (SIZO) No. 1 (“Matrosskaya Tishina”), Moscow
- SIZO No. 1 in Krasnodar
- Strict-regime Correctional Colony No. 4 in Kamenka (Bryansk Region)
- Correctional Colony for women No.14 in Partsa (Republic of Mordovia)
- Correctional Colony for women No. 2 in Yavas (Republic of Mordovia)
In addition, the delegation went to SIZO No. 1 in Bryansk and SIZO No. 1 in Khabarovsk in order to interview prisoners who had recently been in the custody of law enforcement agencies.
- Khabarovsk Regional Psychiatric Hospital
- Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk Regional Psychiatric Hospital