During the visit, the delegation assessed progress made since the first periodic visit in 2002 towards implementing the CPT’s recommendations. It examined the treatment of persons detained by the police and conditions in temporary detention centres. Particular attention was paid to the treatment and regime of life-sentenced and other long-term prisoners. The visit also provided an opportunity to examine the situation in psychiatric establishments and to assess the legal safeguards applicable to involuntary psychiatric patients under the Law on Psychiatric Assistance.
In the course of the visit, the CPT’s delegation held consultations with Fikrat MAMMADOV, Minister of Justice, Nazim ALAKBAROV, Deputy Minister of Justice and Director of the Penitentiary Service, Senan KERIMOV, Deputy Minister of Health, Rustam USUBOV, First Deputy Prosecutor General, as well as other senior Government officials. It also met with Elmira SULEYMANOVA, Human Rights Commissioner. Further, discussions were held with members of non-governmental and international organisations active in areas of concern to the CPT.
At the end of the visit, the delegation presented its preliminary observations to the Azerbaijani authorities.
The visit was carried out by the following members of the CPT:
- Renate KICKER, Head of delegation (Austrian)
- Celso DAS NEVES MANATA (Portuguese)
- Zdeněk HÁJEK (Czech)
- Jean-Pierre RESTELLINI (Swiss)
- Vitolds ZAHARS (Latvian).
They were supported by Petya NESTOROVA (Head of Division), Borys WODZ and Isabelle SERVOZ-GALLUCCI of the CPT's Secretariat, and assisted by two experts: James McMANUS, Professor of Criminal Justice at Glasgow Caledonian University (United Kingdom), and Clive MEUX, consultant forensic psychiatrist, Oxford (United Kingdom).
The delegation visited the following places:
Establishments under the Ministry of Internal Affairs
- Temporary detention centre of the Main Department for Combating Organised Crime, Baku
- Temporary detention centre of Narimanov District Police Department, Baku
- Reception and distribution centre for minors of the Main City Police Department, Baku
- Bilajari unit of the Main Transport Police Department, Baku
- Sabayil District Police Department, Baku
- Police station No. 15, Baku
- Police station No. 30, Baku
- Temporary detention centre of Gakh District Police Department
- Temporary detention centre of Shamakhi District Police Department
- Temporary detention centre of Sumgayit District Police Department
- Temporary detention centre of Zagatala District Police Department
Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic
- Temporary detention centre of the Ministry of Internal Affairs, Boyuk Duz
- Sadarak District Police Division
- Sharur District Police Division
Establishments under the Ministry of Justice
- Gobustan Prison
- Investigative Isolator No. 3, Shuvalan
- Strict-regime penitentiary establishment No. 11, Binagadi District, Baku
In addition, the delegation interviewed prisoners at the Central penitentiary hospital in Baku who had recently been transferred from Gobustan Prison, and examined the construction site of the new mixed-regime penitentiary establishment in the Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic.
Establishments under the Ministry of Health
- City Psychiatric Hospital No. 1, Baku
- Regional Psycho-Neurological Dispensary, Sheki
Establishments under the Ministry of Defence
- “Hauptvacht”(disciplinary unit) of Nakhchivan Garrison
Establishments under the State Border Service
- Temporary detention centre for persons who have violated the border regime, State Border Service military unit, Nakhchivan City.