The mandate of the Special Representative on Migration and Refugees - Tomáš Boček
Ensuring implementation of relevant commitments under the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR), whilst managing overwhelming numbers of refugees and migrants, represents today a significant challenge for all member States of the Council of Europe.
Several bodies of the Council of Europe have already been mobilised to provide assistance and support to the member States concerned. However, we are experiencing unpredictable developments, notably sudden concentrations of high numbers of refugees and migrants in certain locations, which seriously threaten their well-being and rights under the ECHR.
Against this background, the Secretary General of the Council of Europe appointed Ambassador Tomáš Boček as his Special Representative on Migration and Refugees. Mr Boček is responsible for gathering information on the fundamental rights of migrants and refugees in Europe, including through fact-finding missions, and making proposals for action.
He will seek to strengthen coordination of the relevant activities within the Council of Europe and to develop effective communication and coordination with international partners such as the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, the International Organisation for Migration, UNICEF, the EU and FRONTEX. One of his key priorities is the protection of migrant and refugee children.
The Special Representative took up his duties on 1st February 2016.
- International Committee of the Red Cross
- International Labour Organisation (ILO)
- International Organisation for Migration (IOM)
- Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR)
- Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE)
- United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
- European Asylum Support Office (EASO)
- European Commission
- European Council
- European Economic and Social Committee
- European Parliament
- European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights (FRA)
- Amnesty International
- Child Circle
- European Council on Refugees and Exiles (ECRE)
- European Network Against Racism
- European NGO Platform on EU Asylum and Migration Policy
- Human Rights Watch
- International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH)
- Médecins du Monde
- Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF)
- Migration Policy Group
- Migration Policy Institute
- Platform for International Cooperation on Undocumented Migrants
- Odysseus Network
- Save the Children