Cyprus - Enhancing the capacity of the justice system by an effective implementation of the reform recommendations and processes
The final beneficiary of the project is the Supreme Court of Cyprus.
Other stakeholders in the project will be first instance judges and lawyers, legal professionals and members of the judiciary
The main objectives are:
- to contribute to the institutional, administrative and growth-sustaining structure reforms in Cyprus
- to support the initiatives of national authorities to design their reforms according to their priorities, taking into account initial conditions and expected socioeconomic impacts
- to assist the national authorities in enhancing the efficiency and effectiveness of human-resource management, inter alia, by strengthening professional knowledge and skills and setting out clear responsibilities
The overall intended impact of the project is improved courts’ management and administration and improved case-management by court registries.
Planned outcomes of the project are:
- Creation of an independent court service responsible for the management and administration of courts in Cyprus
- Introduction of new administrative processes in the court registries
For the achievement of the indicated outcomes the following outputs shall be produced:
- Mapping and evaluation of current administrative processes in court registries;
- Evaluation report of the existing case-management in courts;
- Analysis and recommendation report addressing organisational and governance structure of the independent court service and other relevant questions;
- Recommendation report proposing a co-design of new administrative processes;
- Proposal of the case-management arrangements;
- Implementation roadmap;
- Inception documentation for the court service creation;
- Duration: 20 months (1 February 2021 – 30 September 2022)
- Place/ country: Cyprus
- Budget: 389 671 €
- Funding: European Union
Roundtable Discussions on Re-engineering of the Court Registries
On 1 and 2 February 2023, two roundtable discussions took place in the framework of the forthcoming establishment of the Court Service in Cyprus. The discussions with Cypriot judges and registrars focused on the exchange of views on the proposals for the improvement of administrative processes in...
Council of Europe and European Union conclude project that contributed to the Cypriot reform aimed at establishing the new Court Service
Amongst the main achievements of the Project are the preparation of a comprehensive set of practical short and long-term recommendations for new governance and management structures as well as a detailed action plan to guide the Cypriot authorities throughout the transition period until the...
Study visit to Irish Courts Service and European Court
On 3-7 October 2022 a delegation of representatives of Cypriot judiciary participated in a study visit to the Irish Court Service and the Registry of the ECtHR. During the visit, the participants had the opportunity to gain an overview of the operation and working methods of both institutions and...