Initiative for Legal Certainty and Efficient Judiciary in Bosnia and Herzegovina – Phase II
The main objective is to support a more coherent application of judicial practice in Bosnia Herzegovina, essential to ensuring legal certainty for the people and functioning of an efficient and human rights -friendly judiciary.
The main partners and beneficiaries of the Project are Ministry of Justice of Bosnia and Herzegovina, High Judicial and Prosecutorial Council of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Court of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Supreme Court of the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Supreme Court of Republika Srpska, Appellate Court of Brčko District; Judges’ and Prosecutors’ Training Centres of the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina and of Republika Srpska; Law faculties of universities of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
The following results are expected:
- The case law database and case management systems used by the courts in Bosnia and Herzegovina apply the same case classification methodology and use vocabulary and descriptors compatible with the European Court of Human Rights in human rights cases;
- Strengthened case law departments;
- Improved efficiency of courts and ensured better judicial protection for citizens in line with the judgments of the European Court of Human Rights;
- Strengthened capacity of National Training Institutions for judges and prosecutors;
- Support of law faculties to provide human rights training.
One month placement with the European Court of Human Rights was organised from November to December 2021 for a judge of the Supreme Court of Federation of BiH and the registrar of Court of Bosnia and Herzegovina. The placements aimed to help the judiciary representatives to further develop their...
Two trainings on legal reasoning and legal drafting of court decisions were organised in December within the initial training of judges and prosecutors. The workshop for criminal cases was organised on 7 - 8 December 2021 in Čardaci and for civil cases on 20-21 in Banjaluka for 17 newly...
Council of Europe together with the OSCE Mission to Bosnia and Herzegovina helps improve legal certainty and equality of citizens before the law
Council of Europe organised a roundtable discussion on the harmonisation of case law and judicial practice for senior judges in Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH), on 6 December 2021 in Sarajevo. The event was aimed at improving legal certainty and equality of citizens before the law. It was organized...