Promotion of diversity and equality in Albania
23 Nov 2021 17:26:00Albania 24 November 2021
The new National Action Plan 2021-2027 on LGBTI people in Albania, prepared by the Ministry on...
12 Nov 2021 11:05:00
Presentation of the study “Beyond Definitions. A call for action against hate speech in Albania” in Tirana, and the new Mobile Application of the Commissioner against Discrimination to report hate speech and hate crimeTIRANA, ALBANIA 11 November 2021
The Albanian Commissioner for Protection from Discrimination (CPD) presented today the study...
28 Jun 2021 17:37:00
Albanian authorities committed to promote the rights of minorities and LGBTI and countering Hate SpeechALBANIA 28 June 2021
The public authorities and key actors in the field of promoting equality and diversity in Albania...
- At policy and legislative level : supporting the authorities to enhance the compatibility of the legislation
- At capacity building level : enhancing the implementation of the relevant laws/strategic documents, their monitoring and the data collection and analysis
- Raising awareness of the dangers posed by hate speech
- Strengthening cooperation and synergies among Western Balkan equality bodies and/or national human rights institutions, and their interaction with civil society organizations
- Ensuring a gender sensitive approach
- The record of implementation of anti-discrimination policies and legislation, at the central and local level (especially on protection of the rights of LGBTI persons, and on combating hate speech/hate crime) is improved
- Dialogue and cooperation between institutions and civil society organizations in promoting and protecting human rights are enhanced
- Awareness of citizens on their rights and mechanisms to defend themselves is strenghened
- Better protection of human rights of the citizens of Albania and build a more diverse, equal and tolerant society is achieved
#HateSpeech is dangerous as it incites acts of violence or discrimination, thus undermining respect and safety of individuals, damaging the cohesion of a society. At the same time, everyone has the right to freedom of speech which allows our democracy to develop and progress. In an attempt to draw the line between the importance of freedom of expression and the respect for the equal dignity of all individuals, we invited well-known actors and key figures from public institutions and civil society organisations in Albania to reflect and have their say on the matter.
The National Conference “Freedom Without Hate” held on 20 December 2019, was an opportunity to come together and better address hate speech, but also to firmly stand in support of freedom of expression. The “No Hate Alliance” was established, so that partners join forces to protect freedom of speech while hate speech is no longer tolerated.