HELP implementing the ECHR in Eastern Partnership Countries
The project, funded by the UK, aims at increasing the knowledge and skills of legal professionals (primarily judges, prosecutors and lawyers) in selected EaP countries (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Georgia and the Republic of Moldova) on the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR) and the case-law of the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR), through the implementation of the following HELP online courses:
- “Judicial Reasoning and Human Rights”
- “Procedural Safeguards in Criminal Proceedings and Victims’ Rights”
- “Access to Justice for Women”
- “Transitional Justice and Human Rights”
The project beneficiaries are the National School of Judges of Armenia; High School of Judges and Bar Association of Azerbaijan; High School of Justice and General Prosecutor’s Office of Georgia; National Institute of Justice, Union of Lawyers and Lawyers’ Training Centre of the Republic of Moldova.
By improving the capacities of domestic legal professionals to apply the ECHR directly, the project will contribute to:
- decreasing the number of applications arriving before the ECtHR and
- increasing the number of cases closed by the Committee of Ministers, subject to the supervision of the execution of the ECtHR judgments and decisions.