The CPT’s delegation reviewed the measures taken by the Croatian authorities to implement recommendations made by the Committee after its 2012 visit. Particular attention was paid to the treatment and conditions of detention of persons held in prisons and in one correctional institution for juveniles, as well as the situation of and legal safeguards for patients in psychiatric institutions. The delegation also examined the conditions of detention and the application of safeguards for persons detained by law enforcement officials.
In the course of the visit, the CPT’s delegation held talks with Lidija Pelivan-Stipetić, State Secretary of the Ministry of Interior, Kristijan Turkalj, State Secretary of the Ministry of Justice, and Gordana Haramina-Hranilović, Deputy State Prosecutor. It also met senior officials from the Ministries of Health, Interior and Justice and the Director of the Police. Further, the delegation met Lora Vidović, Ombudsperson of the Republic of Croatia.
At the end of the visit, the delegation presented its preliminary observations to the Croatian authorities.
The visit was carried out by the following members of the CPT:
- Julia Kozma, Head of delegation
- Dagmar Breznoščáková
- Wolfgang Heinz
- Răzvan Horaţiu Radu
- Olivera Vulić
- Victor Zaharia
They were supported by Janet Foyle, Christian Loda and Natacha De Roeck of the CPT's Secretariat, and assisted by an expert, Pétur Hauksson, former Head of the Psychiatric Department at Reykjalundur Rehabilitation Centre (Iceland).
The delegation visited the following places of deprivation of liberty:
- Osijek Police Station I
- Split Police Station I
- Split Police Station II
- Velika Gorica Police Station
- Vinkovci Police Station
- Vrbanja Police Station
- Zagreb Detention and Escort Unit (Oranice)
- Zagreb Police Station II (Črnomerec)
- Zagreb Police Station VI (Remetinec)
- Zagreb Police Station VIII (Trnje)
- Osijek County Prison
- Split County Prison
- Zagreb County Prison
- Prison Hospital in Zagreb
- Juvenile Correctional Facility,Turopolje
- Vrapče Psychiatric Hospital, Zagreb
- Psychiatric Clinic of the Rebro Clinical Hospital Centre (KBC) in Zagreb
- Zagreb Psychiatric Hospital for Children and Adolescents