The main objective of the visit was to review the implementation of recommendations made after previous visits regarding the treatment of persons deprived of their liberty by law enforcement agencies. For this purpose, the delegation interviewed numerous detained persons who had recently been or were still in the custody of the police or other law enforcement agencies; it also examined relevant documentation, including investigation files concerning complaints about ill-treatment by staff of those agencies.
In the course of the visit, the delegation held consultations with Alexandr GOROVOY, First Deputy Minister of Internal Affairs, and Maxim TRAVNIKOV, Deputy Minister of Justice, as well as with other senior officials of the above-mentioned Ministries, at both the federal and regional level. Meetings were also held with senior officials of the Federal Service for the Execution of Punishments (FSIN) and the Federal Drug Control Service (FSKN).
Further, in Moscow and in most of the regions visited, the delegation met senior officials of the Investigative Committee of the Russian Federation.
The visit was carried out by the following members of the CPT:
- Lətif HÜSEYNOV (Azerbaijani), President of the CPT (Head of delegation)
- Régis BERGONZI (Monégasque)
- Dan DERMENGIU (Romanian)
- Julia KOZMA (Austrian).
They were supported by Borys WÓDZ (Head of Division) and Johan FRIESTEDT of the CPT's Secretariat, and assisted by two experts: Michael KELLETT (former Detective Chief Inspector in the Lancashire Constabulary, United Kingdom) and Derrick POUNDER (Professor of forensic medicine, University of Dundee, United Kingdom).
The delegation visited the following places of deprivation of liberty:
Republic of Bashkortostan
- Temporary Detention Centre (IVS) of the City Internal Affairs Department, Ufa
- IVS at the Police Division No. 5, Ufa
- Police Divisions Nos. 1, 4, 6 and 7, Ufa
- Blagoveshchensk District Internal Affairs Department
- IVS of the City Internal Affairs Department, Novosibirsk
- Police Divisions Nos. 2, 4 and 7, Novosibirsk
- IVS of the City Internal Affairs Department, Omsk
- Police Divisions Nos. 2 and 9, Omsk
- Division of the Ministry of Internal Affairs for Omsk City District
- Special Reception Centre for Persons under Administrative Arrest, Omsk
- IVS of the City Internal Affairs Department, Yekaterinburg
- Police Divisions Nos. 1, 4, 5, 14 and 15, Yekaterinburg.
Federal Drug Control Service establishments:
- FSKN Directorate for Omsk Region, Omsk
- FSKN Directorate for Sverdlovsk Region, Yekaterinburg.
The delegation also carried out interviews of newly-arrived remand prisoners in the following establishments under the Ministry of Justice’s Federal Service for the Execution of Punishments:
- Pre-trial establishment (SIZO) No. 1, Novosibirsk
- SIZO No. 1, Omsk
- SIZO No. 1, Ufa SIZO No. 1, Yekaterinburg.