Convention rights and issues I need to consider
Articles 2 Right to life, 3 Prohibition of torture, 9 Freedom ofreligion, 10 Freedom of expression, 11 Freedom of assembly and association
- Is the presumption in favour of the right to free expression being applied?
- Is there a legitimate reason (e.g. maintenance of public order, risk of violence) to refuse permission for a meeting or demonstration?
- Is any interference with any of the rights in the three articles mentioned in accordance with law, for a permitted aim and proportionate?
- Where the gathering has a religious purpose, have the rights in Article 9 been respected?
- Have necessary steps been taken to protect the demonstrators, including where simultaneous, conflicting demonstrations are planned?
References to article numbers are to the European Convention on Human Rights except where a Protocol is specified.
The issues listed are not exhaustive.
Do you touch on any of the Convention rights in your work?