Strengthening the National Preventive Mechanism in Kosovo*
The main partners and beneficiaries of the Project are the National Preventive Mechanism Unit (NPM) within the Ombudsperson Institution in Kosovo (OIK), Ministry of Justice/Kosovo Correctional Service, Kosovo Judicial Council, Kosovo Prosecutorial Council, Ministry of Internal Affairs, Ministry of Health.
The main objective is to strengthen the capacity of the National Preventive Mechanism Unit to apply European and international standards and methodology and domestic legislation in the area of protection of rights of persons deprived of liberty
The following results are expected:
- All OIK’s NPM staff are trained to conduct preventive visits to places of deprivation of liberty and a sustainable training methodology developed and handed over
- The annual plan of visits is prepared in a realistic manner corresponding to the NPM’s mandate and capability.
- The visits to places of deprivation of liberty are carried out in line with European and international standards and methodology and in accordance with Kosovo legislation.
- Relevant Kosovo* institutions are aware of the NPM mandate and are prepared to co-operate.
For the training activities the project will largely rely on the European Programme for Human Rights Education for Legal Professionals (HELP).
On 6-7 September, project organized second strategic planning workshop with National Preventive Mechanism against Torture (NPM). The aim was to collect final inputs for the first 5-year strategy of the mechanism since its establishment in 2016. The workshop was facilitated with support of two...
On 24 April, the project facilitated signature of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on professional cooperation between Kosovo* National Preventive Mechanism against Torture and Swiss National Commission for Prevention of Torture. The signature ceremony was organised in cooperation with the...
The final project conference was organised on 16 April as a concluding event after two years of comprehensive capacity building and awareness raising activities with National Preventive Mechanism against Torture. The event provided room for communicating project results to donors and direct...
* "All reference to Kosovo, whether the territory, institutions or population, in this text shall be understood in full compliance with United Nation’s Security Council Resolution 1244 and without prejudice to the status of Kosovo."