Supporting the criminal justice reform and combating ill-treatment and impunity in Armenia
The main partners and beneficiaries of the Project are the Ministry of Justice, the Justice Academy, the Investigative Committee and the Special Investigation Service and legal professionals and investigators.
The main objectives are:
- to improve the legislation on criminal matters and institutional mechanisms for combating ill-treatment in line with European human rights standards.
- to strengthen the capacity of the Justice Academy to train prosecutors and investigators on criminal justice and human rights
- to improve the knowledge and skills of investigators on criminal justice and human rights, including effective investigations of ill-treatment cases
The following results are expected:
- the legislation on criminal matters and institutional mechanisms for combating ill-treatment is improved and implemented in line with European human rights standards;
- the capacity of the Justice Academy to train investigators on criminal justice and human rights is strengthened.
- Duration: 1 July 2015- 31 December 2018
- Place/ country: Armenia
- Budget: 500 000 €
- Funding: Council of Europe/European Union - Partnership for Good Governance
Final Conference of the Project
A final conference of the Project “Supporting the criminal justice reform and combating ill-treatment and impunity in Armenia” funded through the European Union and Council of Europe Partnership for Good Governance was held on 12 December. The conference marked the successful accomplishment of...
International Conference Marking the 10 Year Anniversary of the Armenian National Preventive Mechanism
On 28-29 November an international conference marking the 10th anniversary of the National Preventive Mechanism in Armenia was organised in Yerevan to discuss issues related to the prevention of torture and execution of the relevant judgments of the European Court of Human Rights. On 31 May 2006,...
The CoE HELP course on Prohibition of Ill-treatment launched for Armenian investigators and prosecutors
The Council of Europe HELP course on Prohibition of Ill-treatment was launched for a group of investigators of the Investigative Committee of the Republic of Armenia (IC) and the Special Investigation Service of the Republic of Armenia (SIS), as well as prosecutors from the General Prosecutor’s...