Moldova-Strengthening the human rights compliant criminal justice system in the Republic of Moldova
The main partners and beneficiaries of the Project are Parliament, Ministry of Justice Ministry of Internal Affairs, Superior Council of Magistracy, Supreme Court of Justice, General Prosecutor's Office, Superior Council of Prosecutors, Bar Association, People's Advocate Office (Ombudsperson Institution), National Council for the Prevention of Torture (National Preventive Mechanism), National Institute of Justice.
The main aim is to further ensure higher respect for human rights in the functioning of the criminal justice system in the Republic of Moldova by assisting the national authorities to build an effectively functioning criminal justice system which is in line with European human rights standards, based on the principles of humanisation, resocialisation and restorative justice.
Three expected results are foreseen under the project:
- Justice stakeholders apply pre-trial detention in compliance with the Council of Europe standards;
- Justice stakeholders use a better criminal sentencing framework, including more effective community sanctions;
- Stakeholders, implementing external monitoring, are more effective in prevention of human rights violations within the criminal justice system.
With a view to achieving these results, several activities will be implemented:
- Support the justice stakeholders to improve the quality of investigations into illtreatment and management of places of pre-trial detention;
- Support the justice stakeholders to apply more noncustodial measures at the pre-trial state of criminal proceedings;
- Support the criminal justice actors to apply more humanised approach to sentencing;
- Improve the capacities and visibility of the Ombudsperson Institution and the National Preventive Mechanism in dealing with the human rights violations in criminal justice sector.
- Duration: 30 months (1 March 2021 - 31 August 2023)
- Place/country: Moldova
- Budget: EUR 866 000
- Funding: Council of Europe Action Plan for the Republic of Moldova for 2021-2024
Second meeting of the Steering Committee of the Council of Europe Project “Strengthening the human rights compliant criminal justice system in the Republic of Moldova”
On 6 December 2021, the Council of Europe project “Strengthening the human rights compliant criminal justice system in the Republic of Moldova” held its 2nd Project Steering Committee (SC) meeting to discuss the project progress under the reporting period (March – December 2021) and to endorse...
Police employees learn applying the limits of the use of force, special means and firearms
26 police employees who ensure the guard, detention and escort of persons in police custody have been trained on the principles on the use of force and special means during a 2-day online training organised by the Council of Europe Project “Strengthening the human rights compliant criminal...
Medical staff from the pre-trial detention isolators enhance their knowledge on the medical examination of persons in police custody
On 16 November 2021, the Council of Europe project “Strengthening the human rights compliant criminal justice system in the Republic of Moldova” carried out an online training on the medical examination of persons in police custody for the medical staff, including feldshers from the pre-trial...