Support to justice sector reform initiatives in Azerbaijan
The main partners and beneficiaries of the Project are the Constitutional Court, Supreme Court, Presidential Administration, Ministry of Justice, General Prosecutor Office, Parliament, Justice Academy of the Ministry of Justice, Collegium of Advocates, civil society organisations.
The main aim is to support justice reforms and improve human rights implementation in Azerbaijan through assisting the Government of Azerbaijan in developing and implementing national action plans related to protection of human rights (objective 1) and supporting and training legal professionals and institutions in improving their capacity to address crimes in compliance with international human rights standards (objective 2).
The following results are expected:
- Functioning of the criminal justice system is analysed and a roadmap of actions is developed in line with European standards;
- Technical capacities of the judiciary to apply case law in a more harmonised manner is improved;
- Capacities of national training institutions and learning resources are enhanced to ensure continuous human rights education for legal professionals.
- Duration: 12 months (1 January 2018 – 30 June 2019)
- Place/ country: Azerbaijan
- Budget: USD 400 000
- Funding: US Department of State Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs (INL)
- Project summary
- Expert opinion for the improvement of the justice system
- Recommendations for the improvement of the justice system, ENG, AZE
Azerbaijani advocates successfully completed the HELP course on “Introduction to the European Convention on Human Rights”
Twenty-seven Azerbaijani advocates received their certificates upon successful completion of the HELP course on “Introduction to the European Convention on Human Rights” implemented during April-June 2019. The activity was organised in cooperation with the Bar Association and the Academy of...
Conference to present a road map for improvement of criminal justice system in Azerbaijan
On 13 June 2019, the Council of Europe organized a conference in Baku to present to the national stakeholders the road map for improvement of the criminal justice system in Azerbaijan. The road map document provides analysis and recommendations to modify the national criminal procedure...
The HELP course on Introduction to the European Convention on Human Rights launched in Baku
On 13 April 2019, the Council of Europe HELP online course on “Introduction to the European Convention on Human Rights” was launched in Baku for a selected group of 45 advocates. The activity was organized in cooperation with the Collegium of Advocates and Academy of Justice of Azerbaijan, within...