“Together” is a strategy for managing diversity developed by the Administrative External Action Service of the Cabildo in partnership with the immigration observatgory OBITen.
This initiative has woven a broad network (of over 100 entities) that includes most immigrant associations that exist in Tenerife as well as institutions and social organizations who share the common goal of promoting intercultural dialogue and strengthen integration processes and social cohesion.
The development of the strategy and the involvement of members of the network are organized into five thematic working groups:
- Social Services
- Gender Violence
- Social Participation
Each group discussed and approved by consensus a Work Plan that defined clear objectives, specific actions to achieve those objectives, expected results and indicators of evaluation. This strategic planning work was very important and has brought rigor and clarity to the actions developed.
- Promote intercultural dialogue and integration processes in an increasingly multicultural society.
- To promote the values of tolerance, coexistence in diversity , equal opportunities and social cohesion.
- To promote community action for social, economic and cultural development in the areas linked by migration.
- To strengthen the network performance of organizations and human resources that serves the social and cultural diversity.
Main lines of action:
- Promoting the level of representation of associations in relation to national and / or regional groups.
- Promotion of communication, coordination and cooperation between public institutions, private entities and NGOs, in relation to the integration processes for social cohesion in the Canaries.
- Promoting knowledge and scientific research of the population, relationships and associative structures formed from immigration.
- Fostering networking in contexts of diversity in the areas of gender violence, co-development, social services, communication, social participation, youth and interculturalism.
- Strengthening training for qualified attention to social and cultural diversity in the territory and public and private organizations.
- Adequacy of communication strategies to the characteristics of an increasingly multicultural society.
- Contribution to the consolidation of organizations and actions of their leading teams.
- Development of communication channels for the dissemination of work done in a collaborative network, with special emphasis on best practices.
The strategy has financial resources for its implementation that provides the Cabildo and the Canary Islands Government through its calls for grants.
A part of the evaluation of the strategy is carried out in the Immigrant Associations and Social Agents of Tenerife Committees, and a technical team is currently working with the entities participating in the Together network to establish an instrument of participatory consultation, monitoring and supervision.
Although the working groups are themed and they can engage people across the island, the strategy has been spreading through the “Tenerife for all” initiative to specific areas of the island geography. So far this has been driven territorial application in the neighbourhoods of El Fraile and Taco, but is expected to extend to other districts soon.