The visit was an opportunity to assess progress made in the implementation of the Committee’s recommendations following the previous visit. In this context, the delegation paid particular attention to the treatment and safeguards afforded to persons deprived of their liberty by the police and examined the treatment of inmates in three prisons. It also carried out a targeted visit to Prague-Ruzyně Remand Prison to interview newly admitted remand prisoners. In addition, the delegation visited one psychiatric hospital and one social care establishment.
In the course of the visit, the delegation held consultations with Vladimír Zimmel, Deputy Minister of Justice, Helena Rögnerová, Deputy Minister of Health, Jiří Vaňásek, Acting Deputy Minister of Labour and Social Affairs, Martin Vondrášek, First Deputy Police President, and other senior officials from the above-mentioned ministries and services.
The delegation also met Anna Šabatová, Public Defender of Rights (Ombudsperson) and Ondřej Vala, Head of the National Preventive Mechanism Department of the Public Defender’s Office. In addition, meetings were held with representatives of the UNHCR Office in the Czech Republic and with non-governmental organisations.
At the end of the visit, the delegation presented its preliminary observations to the Czech authorities.
The visit was carried out by the following members of the CPT:
- Hans Wolff (Head of Delegation)
- Dagmar Breznoščáková
- Vincent Delbos
- Arta Mandro
- Esther Marogg
- Ilvija Pūce.
They were supported by Petr Hnátík and Almut Schröder of the Committee's Secretariat and assisted by an expert, Pétur Hauksson, psychiatrist, former Head of the Psychiatric Department at Reykjalundur Rehabilitation Centre, Iceland.
The delegation visited the following places of deprivation of liberty:
Establishments under the Ministry of the Interior
- Březno u Chomutova District Police Department
- Chomutov Police Department (patrolling unit)
- České Budějovice Regional Police Headquarters (Emergency and Escort Unit)
- České Budějovice District Police Department
- Jihlava District Police Department
- Jihlava Regional Police Headquarters (Emergency and Escort Unit)
- Kadaň District Police Department
- Olomouc 1 District Police Department
- Olomouc 3 District Police Department
- Prague – Kongresová Regional Police Headquarters (Emergency and Escort Unit)
- Telč District Police Department
- Třešť District Police Department
Establishments under the Ministry of Justice
- České Budějovice Remand Prison
- Mírov Prison
- Všehrdy Prison (unit for juveniles)
- Prague-Ruzyně Remand Prison
Establishments under the Ministry of Health
- Jihlava Psychiatric Hospital
Establishment under the Ministry of Labour, Social Affairs and Family
- Vejprty Social Care Establishment.