The parliament of Israel - the Knesset - was granted observer status with the Parliamentary Assembly on 2 December 1957 and is represented by a delegation of three members.
Which conventions has Israel signed and/or ratified?
- the European Convention on the Equivalence of Diplomas leading to Admission to Universities
- the European Convention relating to the Formalities required for Patent Applications
- the European Convention on the International Classification of Patents for Inventions
- the Agreement on the Exchange of War Cripples between Member Countries of the Council of Europe with a view to Medical Treatment
- the European Convention on Extradition
- the European Agreement concerning Programme Exchanges by means of Television Films
- the European Convention on Mutual Assistance in Criminal Matters
- the Convention on the Transfer of Sentenced Persons
- the Convention on the Recognition of Qualifications concerning Higher Education in the European Region
- the Second Additional Protocol to the European Convention on Mutual Assistance in Criminal Matters
- the Council of Europe Convention on the counterfeiting of medical products and similar crimes involving threats to public health
Of which partial agreements is Israel a member / an observer?
Israel takes part:
- as a full member, in the European Commission for Democracy through Law (Venice Commission) since 1 May 2008
- as an observer, in the European Pharmacopoeia Commission (EDQM) since 29 June 2005
- as a full member, in the Enlarged Partial Agreement on Sport (EPAS)
- as a full member, in the Pompidou Group since October 2013
Israel at the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities
The Union of Local Authorities in Israel has also observer status with the Congress of Local and Regional Authorities since June 1994.
Israel at Council of Europe committees
Israel has observer status with:
- the Committee of Experts on the Evaluation of Anti-Money Laundering Measures and the Financing of Terrorism (MONEYVAL)
- the Committee of Legal Advisers on Public International Law (CAHDI)
- the European Commission for the Efficiency of Justice (CEPEJ)
Israel regularly participates in the work of the Steering Committee on Bioethics (CDBI).
What is observer status?