Conference: Tackling hate speech (Budapest, 27-28 November 2012)
27-28 November 2012
"Tackling hate speech: Living together online"
Council of Europe Secretary General Thorbjørn Jagland will be the keynote speaker at a two-day conference on tackling hate speech in Budapest from Tuesday 27 November 2012.
The conference is being organised by the Council of Europe and the EEA and Norway Grants (programmes funded by Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway to help reduce disparities in 15 EU member states) together with the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
The aim of the conference is to look at the nature and extent of hate speech in today’s Europe – especially online – and to discuss different ways of tackling intolerance whilst defending free speech.
The conference will hear a number of different viewpoints, including from researchers, online activists against hate speech and relevant NGOs including Amnesty International. Human Rights Watch and the International Network Against Cyber-Hate. Facebook’s head of European policy will also speak at the event, as will representatives of the “traditional” media and international organisations including the United Nations and the EU’s Fundamental Rights Agency.
The conference will be preceded by a training course on hate speech for influential young bloggers, some of whom will take part in the main event. The forthcoming Council of Europe youth campaign on tackling hate speech will also be presented at the conference, as will two new publications from the EU’s Fundamental Rights Agency on hate crime and victimisation of minorities.
The Conference in images: video recordings
- "Session 1 : Reality on the ground – the nature and extent of hate speech today"
- "Session 2 : Self-regulation and online moderation as tools for tackling hate speech"
- "Session 3 : Looking ahead – how best to create an environment which promotes tolerance and respect for fundamental rights?"
- European Convention of Human Rights and its case law - Factsheet
- Additional Protocol to the Convention on Cybercrime, concerning the criminalisation of acts of a racist and xenophobic nature committed through computer systems
- Framework Convention for the Protection of National Minorities - Third thematic commentary on language rights
Council of Europe reference documents
- Report of the Group of Eminent Persons of the Council of Europe, - Living together - Combining diversity and freedom in 21st-century Europe, 11 May 2011
- The situation of Roma and travellers in Europe: Main human rights standards of the Council of Europe, 20 September 2010
Committee of Ministers
- Recommendation No. R (97) 20 on “hate speech” adopted on 30 October 1997
- Recommendation No. R (97) 21 on the media and the promotion of a culture of tolerance adopted on 30 October 1997
- Recommendation 1805 (2007) on Blasphemy, religious insults and hate speech against persons on grounds of their religion adopted on 29 June 2007
- Recommendation 2003 (2012) on Roma migrants in Europe adopted on 28 June 2012
- Resolution 1889 (2012) on the portrayal of migrants and refugees during election campaigns on 27 June 2012
Commissioner for Human Rights
- Opinion, Human rights of Roma and Travellers in Europe, February 2012
- Issue discussion paper, Ethical journalism and human rights, 2011
European Commission against Racism and Intolerance (ECRI)
- General policy recommendation no. 13 on combating anti-gypsyism and discrimination against Roma, adopted on 24 June 2011
- General Policy Recommendation N°6: Combating the dissemination of racist, xenophobic and antisemitic materiel via the internet
European Commission for democracy through Law
- Video interview with Thorbjørn Jagland, Council of Europe Secretary General on hate speech
- Interview with the Norwegian Foreign Minister
- European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights video report
- Workshop for bloggers and online human rights activists on how to combat hate speech online
- Registration form - journalists
- Practical information
- Background information
- European Youth Centre in Budapest
- Speech by Thorbjørn Jagland
- Video of the speech
- Speech by Jenö Kaltenbach, Chair of ECRI
- Video of the speech by George Soros
- Research perspective, by Carl Miller, Centre for the Analysis of Social Media
- Contribution by Giacomo Mazzone, European Broadcasting Union
- Young people combating hate speech online, by Shannon Stephens, Advisory Council on Youth
- Recommendations from Action and Campaigning against hate speech online,by Nicole Currie
- Indignity, indifference, indignation, by Conference rapporteur Robin Wilson
- Contribution by Stefan Glaser (jugendschutz.net) and Benjamin Thull (Media Authority of Baden-Württemberg)
- Article by Benjamin Ward, Human Rights Watch