About the Project
Support for judicial institutions and processes to strengthen access to justice in Ukraine
Support for the judicial authorities of Ukraine and promotion of the processes in order to ensure effective access to justice in line with the standards and recommendations of the Council of Europe.
- Provide Ukraine with an expert support for reforming of legislation, governing the functioning of judiciary and access to justice in accordance with the standards and recommendations of the Council of Europe.
- Promote the development of judicial procedures of the Supreme Court and courts of lower instances to ensure uniform application of law and improve access to justice, considering the COVID-19 pandemic and the relevant Council of Europe standards.
- Improve the procedures of access to justice by providing free legal aid, with emphasis on civil and administrative cases and taking into account the COVID-19 pandemic.
AREAS OF COOPERATION
- Support for the legislation reforming in order to implement the standards and recommendations of the Council of Europe in the judiciary field.
- Support to the Supreme Court and courts of lower instances for ensuring access to justice and uniformity of case law in line with the Council of Europe standards.
- Support to the Supreme Court and courts of lower instances for ensuring compliance with the principle of legal certainty in line with the Council of Europe standards.
- Support to the national authorities for improving the legislation on and the quality of legal aid within the system of free legal aid in civil and administrative cases, taking into account the relevant European practice and the recommendations of the Council of Europe.
The total budget of the judicial component amounts to € 700 000,00.
The duration of the Project is 24 months. It will be implemented by 31 December 2022.
The key partners of the Project are:
- Supreme Court
- Free Legal Aid Coordination Centre
- Ministry of Justice
- Parliamentary Committee on Legal Policy
- High Council of Justice
- Council of Judges of UkraineNational School of Judges of Ukraine
- Ukrainian Bar Association
COORDINATION WITH INTERNATIONAL ORGANISATIONS
The Project will coordinate its activities with those of the international organisations working in Ukraine on the issues of justice - the EU, the OSCE, the UN, the USAID, the Canadian Embassy.
Council of Europe Office in Ukraine
vul. lllins’ka, 8, 7th entrance, 04070 Kyiv, Ukraine
Phone: + 380 44 425 60 01 (ext. 158)
Fax: +380 44 425 02 62